Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheSillyOldBear
Reel Rookie

Re: How do I switch between my cable TV and Roku device?

Jump to solution

Seems poor UI design that I can switch from the set top but not back to it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@TheSillyOldBear wrote:

Seems poor UI design that I can switch from the set top but not back to it.

Not really. CEC is designed specifically to switch to the unit that initiates the command. Switching to a different input requires a CEC command from a device on that input. If pressing a button on the cable box doesn't cause the TV to switch back to it, that's not the fault of the Roku. It wouldn't work that way with any other device using CEC for such control.

Now, devices with universal remotes would most likely have a button that either does it automatically or can be manually programmed to do it. Roku doesn't offer any sort of universal remote, nor does Fire TV, Apple TV, or Shield TV. Some inexpensive Android based boxes might include a generic remote that can control other devices, but that's only so they don't have to design and build a remote of their own. 

You can buy universal IR remotes that can control a Roku, TV, and more devices, for under $10 in most stores that sell electronics like Roku players. Those universal remotes will work on any Roku EXCEPT any model of Roku Stick. Those players only work with WiFi Direct remotes, so an IR remote cannot control them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
robromnek

Jump to solution

But you still need to use TV remote to switch inputs, right?  I was hoping I could reduce things to a single remote but I can't get back to cable without using my TV remote and choosing HDMI2.  Roku is HDMI1.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@robromnek wrote:

But you still need to use TV remote to switch inputs, right?  

If your TV supports CEC, then you can use the Roku remote to switch to the Roku input. Just press the home button on the Roku remote. On my system, this will even turn on the TV and the AVR, and ensure both are set to the correct input. But there's no way to switch back to the TV tuner without using the TV remote. 

All Roku players, with the exception of the Roku Stick models, will work with IR remotes. This means you could get a universal remote that can control both the Roku and the TV. Just be aware you would lose some of the advantages of the Roku remote, such as remote listening with the headphone jack, and point anywhere functionality, meaning you don't have to point the remote directly at the Roku to control it.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

After installing Roku express, the only way I can access my cable box is to unplug the Roku device.  The Roku device is connected to the TV HDMI port 2 and the cable box to TV HDMI port 1.  When I try to use the universal remote programmed for the TV to switch ports by pressing video source.  Nothing happens and "yes" I have pushed hard enough.  Others have had similar problems, but nothing has been posted that would help me.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

OK.  I've stumbled onto the solution purely by accident.  Before installing Roku Express, I could change video sources simply by punching the "video source" on the TV remote.  After punching "video source," a list of HTML sources would appear and I could use arrows to scroll to the desired source and punch "OK."  After installing Roku Express a list of HTML sources again appears.  The "before" and "after" lists had a different appearance, but there was one critical difference.  After Roku Express was installed, there was no way to scroll to the desired source.  In fact no scrolling at all was possible.  Completely by accident, I discovered that scrolling was possible but only if the "video source" button was held down while scrolling.  I've never seen anything like this before.  Selecting the desire video source requires two hands.  OK for me but not OK for the minority of people who don't have the use of two hands.  Roku, what were you thinking.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@StevenSpiker, try disabling "1-touch play" under Settings->System->Control other devices.

I am not a Roku employee.
katielin
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That worked for me...(so far).  I have old 2015 Samsung Smart TV, Spectrum cable and Roku Express.  My UNsmart tv in the bedroom stays in the input I selected, so it does not force me back into Roku.  It is comforting to know as my 71st b-day is icoming up soon, that UNsmart can still be cool..:-0

Thank you so much.  

0 Kudos
Kjny

Jump to solution

So i can use the remote for my tv t0 watch cable and the roku remote to watch streaming? If the cable is hdmi 1 and roku is hdmi 2, when i set  up the roku remote for hdmi2 would the cable remain set as 1 on my regular remote?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Kjny wrote:

So i can use the remote for my tv to watch cable and the roku remote to watch streaming? If the cable is hdmi 1 and roku is hdmi 2, when i set  up the roku remote for hdmi2 would the cable remain set as 1 on my regular remote?

The Roku remote has no HDMI setting. It works with the Roku, period, regardless of the HDMI port the Roku is using. Your cable remote is the same. It controls the cable box, and has nothing to do with the HDMI port. 

Dan

0 Kudos