Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I switch between my cable TV and Roku device?

Jump to solution

It's supposed to automatically switch your TV's input to the input the Roku is using whenever you press a button on the Roku remote, but clearly it's not entirely reliable.  What you lose is that you'll have to use your TV's remote control to switch its input to the input the Roku is using.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

It's supposed to automatically switch your TV's input to the input the Roku is using whenever you press a button on the Roku remote, but clearly it's not entirely reliable.  What you lose is that you'll have to use your TV's remote control to switch its input to the input the Roku is using.

That's not entirely true.  You need to go to settings>system>control other devices and you want to make sure 1 touch play is checked. If not, then it's what you said. But, even with that, you still need to use the input button on your TV remote to switch back to the TV after watching Roku. 

0 Kudos
Sue48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I unchecked there item on one play remote and now we just use our cable remote like normal! If we want to use the Roku we have to select the correct HDMI input

0 Kudos
TheSillyOldBear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not an attractive solution. Then you need to handle 3 different remotes, for the Roku, the tv and the cable box. I tried using the source button on the cable remote but it didn’t do anything that I could tell. Is there a way to hook up the Roku through the cable box? Like a daisy chain?

atc98092

Jump to solution

@TheSillyOldBear wrote:

Not an attractive solution. Then you need to handle 3 different remotes, for the Roku, the tv and the cable box. I tried using the source button on the cable remote but it didn’t do anything that I could tell. Is there a way to hook up the Roku through the cable box? Like a daisy chain?

It's possible (but extremely unlikely) that the cable box has an HDMI input. The cable box remote might need to be programmed to control the TV, so that might need to be done for the Input button to do anything. Depending on the model Roku player, the cable remote might also be programmable to control the Roku. But that assumes the Roku support IR control. The Roku Stick players do not support IR, and there's one or two very old models that might not. But as long as it's not a Roku Stick it should support IR. There are also universal IR remotes that can be purchased for under $20 that be programmed to control the Roku, the TV, and possibly even the cable box. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TheSillyOldBear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s a stick+ so the universal remote approach is out. It’s curious that the Roku can switch to its HDMI port but not restore the last port.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@TheSillyOldBear wrote:

It’s a stick+ so the universal remote approach is out. It’s curious that the Roku can switch to its HDMI port but not restore the last port.

That is a CEC function. It's only designed to switch the active input to the one that just sent a signal, usually by pressing a remote button. There is no ability to switch it back via CEC. You might see if your cable box supports CEC, and if it does you might at least be able to switch to it with a press of a remote button. But the only way to change the TV input to the OTA tuner is with the TV remote I'm afraid. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
hillfarmer

Jump to solution

My problem is that Dish wants their remote back too when discontinuing service. I don’t have the original tv remote. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@hillfarmer 

Most TVs can be controlled by a universal remote. Just find one that works with your TV.

Or, order a replacement remote for your TV.

That's pretty much it. User @Tivoburkee may be able to offer more details.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  The Roku seems to have disabled my comcast remote.  All I'm able to so with it is turn the TV on.  I can hit the input button but nothing happens.  Whenever I did manage to get MNF on regular TV the picture and sound were terrible.  Any help would be appreciated.  Lois

0 Kudos