Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Divans
Channel Surfer

Help. Second Roku device attempting setup

Jump to solution

Help. Set up Roku express 4k as directed twice, this is my second device…the power is on, the input is correct, tried the reset button, never a bouncing “Roku” just a blank screen with both devices now. Now what?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Divans
Channel Surfer

Re: Help. Second Roku device attempting setup

Jump to solution

I returned both devices to the store

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Divans 

Start simple and with the basics.

Ensure that the TV is on the correct HDMI input.

Switch the HDMI cable with one you know works.

You said Express 4K. That uses an IR remote. And you didn't say so I'm gathering they are the same device, model 3940 Roku Express 4K, sold by Walmart, and not the Express 4K+ which is a different device and uses a different remote.

Since both are the same model number (the assumption), you should be able to simply swap the devices, leaving everything else in place. That is, take the New Roku, just the device, over to the TV with the Good Roku. Make sure the Good Roku shows on the screen. Then, unplug power then HDMI from the Good Roku, and set the Good Roku aside. Put the New Roku in its place and connect the HDMI then power.

What happens?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Also, if you come back to the TV after a period of inactivity, and see a blank screen, try pressing the Home button on the Roku remote to wake it up.  If that does wake it up, and having to do that bugs you, there is setting that allows this to be turned off. (It saves a bit of energy but confuses some people since a sleeping Roku looks like a dead Roku.)

Divans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is the second device” in that I already returned one assuming it didn’t work. 

But now I have a new device and it’s doing the same thing as the first
0 Kudos
Divans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The device has never accessed the setup mode…so it’s not an issue of “returning” to Roku app. 
never a bouncing “Roku” or language screen…nothing…blank screen from the getgo

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Divans 

Two separate devices with the exact same issue is very unusual. More likely, the issue is something in common. That points to the HDMI port on the TV. Does it have only one? And are you absolutely sure you have switched the TV input to that HDMI port and not to one of the others, or a different input source (composite, antenna/cable, etc)?

Do you have any other HDMI device attached? Can you unplug it and plug the Roku into that port?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Does the light on the front of the Express ever come on when you connect the power?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Divans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes. The light is powered on and blinks. I’ve tried reset, still nothing. 

0 Kudos
Divans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The tv is a year old, there are 3 hdmi ports, I’ve tried all 3 with each device. 

I even tried them on a different tv with the same result. 
Everything on both devices was checked a double checked to be exactly as instructed. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Divans 

Again let me repeat:

Do you have any other HDMI device attached? Can you unplug it and plug the Roku into that port?

DBDukes

0 Kudos