Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a Roku tv & want Roku on Samsung

We set up my new Roku TV in December of 2021 and it works beautifully.  Now we want to watch Roku on our Samsung smart tv in the downstairs living room and it won't do it.  I need help to get that done.  Ever since we set up the Roku upstairs the Samsung wont work on TV streaming- it will only work on Dish network.  It says it is not connected to the internet but it always worked before the Roku was set up using the same wireless internet.  What could the problem be?  How do I stream the Samsung to Roku, do I need a device?  Is there more than one problem here?

Thanks

Sue 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have a Roku tv & want Roku on Samsung

@suenwatterson 

I'm trying to follow what's going on and what you're trying to do.

The Roku device, even a Roku TV, isn't a transmitter. It has a WiFi receiver. Same as a laptop, iPad, phone, etc. It would be highly unusual for the existence of a Roku device (including a Roku TV) to stop another device from connecting to the Internet.

Here's how to test it. Unplug the Roku from its power source. Does the Samsung start working? If not, you've just proved that it's not the Roku, as unplugging it is the same as not having one, as far as WiFi is concerned.

One other thing: You said you want Roku on Samsung in the title. Well, to do that, get a Roku device -- not a Roku TV but a Roku streaming device -- and connect it to the Samsung TV.

In the body of the post, you want to stream Samsung to Roku. That's not how things work. Whatever you're trying to describe, try with different words, so we understand what it is you're actually wanting.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Buy a Roku Streaming Stick for your Samsung TV 👍🏻

0 Kudos
atc98092

Once upon a time, there were ISPs that provided modems/routers that only allowed a single device to connect to the Internet. Comcast was famous for that in its early days of providing Internet. It's always possible that you might have something like that. The simplest way to resolve something like that is to put your own router between the Internet modem/router you have and the rest of your network. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@atc98092 both Comcast and Cox use the new panoramic gateway. You can download the mobile app and have full control over everything. They even have tv commercials about it. Here is a pic of just some of the things I can do without going to 192.168.1.1. Most newer modems have 1 password for 2.4 and 5.0. The gateway I have did and it has the ability to give your device what it needs automatically. But I have certain devices that only run on 2.4 such as my WiFi smart plugs. So I made individual passwords for 2.4 and 5.0. Took my 1 minute 👍🏻
CF4B8B38-522C-41EE-8BA3-A4A9BBE1E6E2.jpeg

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

0E35C4A7-44E8-4674-99C0-804E87022475.jpeg

I have total control of this. It’s only 3 years old or so. I have Cox. Comcast xFinity uses the same one 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I know, I have Comcast as well. However, because I lease my modem, there are a number of settings that are locked out for me.

My comment was simply that it's possible, although unlikely, that they are still using an older device for their Internet and it might have a limit on the number of devices that can connect. I know from experience helping someone else out a number of years ago that their Comcast modem would only assign a single IP address. Adding the second router was necessary to get all their devices connected. I was merely offering one example of something that might be an issue.

Dan

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I rent my Cox gateway. I can change all the settings. Which xFinity gateway do you have?

0 Kudos
atc98092

I have what Comcast calls the xFi Gateway. It was less money to lease it from them, since it comes with unlimited data. If I provided my own modem, I would have to pay $5 more per month for unlimited.

But because it's leased, I am locked out of many of the WiFi settings. I can turn the radios on/off, but can't change the channel, mode, or channel width. I've also been unable to configure port forwarding, as Xfinity does that through it web site and it refuses to work. Comcast insists there's nothing wrong, but I can't get it to work here or on my daughter's home, which has the same hardware.

Obviously Cox and Comcast have different restrictions on their devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Cox & Comcast are basically the same. My mother has the new xFinity gateway. It’s the same as mine. Cox is white and xFinity is black. We both rent ours for $10/month. 500 Mbps. If you download the mobile app you have total control of it. You even have more control if you go to 192.168.1.1 

DCA458EA-235C-4A28-A460-A85904CDD77A.jpeg

I’m not even home and I can control everything.,

0 Kudos