Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMeeks90

Followed directions, flashing light, can't get to step 6, no logo

I've searched other posts, but no solution for me yet. Followed simple set up instructions for Roku express. TV has only one HDMI spot and I'm plugged in.  Plugged power source to wall outlet.  All I get is purple/blue light on box. No picture on screen. I have no other TV and no other HDMI cable to try.  Bought new today.  Any other suggestions? I have set TV input to HDMI. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Followed directions, flashing light, can't get to step 6, no logo

@AMeeks90 

You either have:

1. a bad Roku
  2. a bad power supply (insufficient power)
  3. a bad HDMI cable
  4. a bad HDMI port on the TV

If you have another HDMI device (game system, for instance) that you can connect, and if it works, you've ruled out the HDMI port on the TV. But if a game system doesn't work, that points to the HDMI port or the cable.

I'd test the TV port first, to ensure it's in working order.

Once that's working, use the same cable that you used with the second HDMI device and see if the Roku works. If so, the other cable was bad. If not, the Roku or power is bad.

And so on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AMeeks90

How would I test the TV HDMI port? My son once had an Xbox 360 connected to it and it was working last year, but he moved out and we can't find the power supply cord to the gaming system.  My PC is also not working, which is why I decided to try Roku.  ☹️  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@AMeeks90 

You nailed it on how to test it: hook another device to it. But, as you said, you don't have one. And that's pretty much the only way to test it.

It is certainly possible that the device is bad. Without the ability to test, you now have to make a decision based on your gut, not testing results. If you decide it's the thing to do, take it back to the store and exchange it. If you just bought the device, you should not experience a major problem returning it. At least, the stores here are that way. Walmart, if that's where you bought it, is pretty painless apart from the line at Customer Service desk. Best Buy, if that's where you bought it, will sometimes want to ask a bunch of questions, and if they say you need to run more tests, tell them run them, but don't let them charge you for it. If you got it from another retailer, work with whatever their policy is.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Can you try setting this up on a friend or neighbor's tv?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X