Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
momo2000
Reel Rookie

Easy config/setup for multiple TCL Roku TV in shared space?

Jump to solution

In our neighborhood clubhouse/gym there are 5 TCL Roku TVs. These are semi-public, since everyone in the neighborhood has a key to the area, but friendly not malicious. These are mounted In front of the treadmills. Of course people change these up and add/delete/mess with them. With the different expertise levels, sometimes things get a bit wonky and I have to do a hard reset on the TV and start over. QUESTION: It would be great if there was some way to have a "standard" config (on a thumb drive, or laptop) so that once a quarter I could go re-initialize these. Things like: Wifi, email address, default channels, etc. Is this at all possible? I've done a few searches, but haven't come across anything. If not, any suggestions for managing these 5 TVs?  UPDATE:  I have since learned about "guest mode" but while a nice feature, does not solve this use case.  Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Easy config/setup for multiple TCL Roku TV in shared space?

Jump to solution

@momo2000 If all of the TVs are linked to the same account they will have the same channels and email address.  As far as Wifi address unless you have multiple choices they will all be on the same Wifi also.  Restarting a Roku device should restore all the channels.  The problem if all are linked to the same account is if someone deletes a channel from one it is deleted from all.  I suggest you login to your account and require a pin to make purchases and add channels.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@momo2000 If all of the TVs are linked to the same account they will have the same channels and email address.  As far as Wifi address unless you have multiple choices they will all be on the same Wifi also.  Restarting a Roku device should restore all the channels.  The problem if all are linked to the same account is if someone deletes a channel from one it is deleted from all.  I suggest you login to your account and require a pin to make purchases and add channels.  

0 Kudos
momo2000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @HDMIGuy  That is super interesting, because at home I have two ROKU Ultras and I have long complained that I have to manage them separately (even though on the same account), so I'd love to do this for my home as well.    QUESTIONS: 

1. Is there any special setting that I have to enable to get them to stay "in sync" vs. independent? I need to test this and get it working on my two Ultra's first 
  2. From the way you described it, I assume there is no "master/slave" relationship, and they are all just "peers", so it doesn't matter which one I change, all of the others will "mirror" that setup as long as they are on the same account. Is this correct?
  3. Is there any way to "lockdown" the settings (parental controls or something) so that after it is setup then no one can change the settings/channels?  I've looked for this but don't see it.

Thanks for this idea, if I can get this to work and just have to manually update one of the 5, and know the other 4 will "follow", that make it bearable.

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@momo2000 Your channels (apps) are linked to your account and not a specific device.  Any channel added or deleted from one device will be added or deleted from all Roku devices on the same account.  They will not be in the same order on the home page and many channels will require you to login separately on each device.  There is no setting to turn this function off/on.  If you add a channel to one device you may have to restart the other device for the change to take effect.  I don't know of any method to keep someone from deleting a channel other than guest mode.  You can require a pin to add channels and make purchases which I highly recommend for any account which has devices with multiple users.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Re adding a PIN:

If you log into your account at https://my.roku.com you can create or reset a PIN value. While there, you can then choose when the PIN is to be required.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
momo2000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @HDMIGuy  I did check and it works exactly as you described (the channel gets added to the other device on the same account).  I sure wish there was a way to have the channels say in the same order, but oh well.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
momo2000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks @makaiguy I see that now.

0 Kudos