Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdilauro
Channel Surfer

Details on how to hook up a Roku Streambar to a TV with only 1 HDMI Port

I recently purchased a Roku Streambar.  The TV I want to hook it up to as an older VISIO TV that has only one HDMI Port and no ARC.   The documentation says to get the optional cable if the TV does not have a HDMI-ARC Port.  However, there is no part number associated with that, so, I can not order it.

But even getting that, I still have only 1 HDMI port and that is being using by my main Roku Device.

I then need at least 3 HDMI ports.  I've seen some devices that will allow one HDMI port to connect to a device that has 3 HDMI ports.  I do that with my USB ports on my computer.

What I really need is some detailed instructions / parts / etc that I will need to allow my Roku Streambar to work on the old TV

Please help

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Details on how to hook up a Roku Streambar to a TV with only 1 HDMI Port

Are you sure it said optional rather than optical? Also, isn’t the streambar a Roku built-into a sound bar?  If so, I'm wondering why you need to connect both Rokus to the same TV as it seems like the streambar itself is all you need.

0 Kudos
rdilauro
Channel Surfer

Sorry, it does say Optical cable (which was optional in the Streambar package.   I was confused by the setup instructions.  I already have a Roku device that I am using to watch TV.  Now, I wanted to add the Streambar.  So, from what you are saying, I should be able to just connect the Streambar to where I had the first Roku device (HDMI) plugged into.

But where does this optical cable get plugged into the TV?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I don't have a streambar myself, but I think you just plug it in and it is both your Roku and your sound system.

If Roku is all you use, then I think you would be all set.  On the other hand, if you want stuff like over-the-air (antenna) TV to also play sound through the streambar, then you might need more - like that optical cable from the TV to the streambar.  (Assuming the TV has such a port, of course.)

0 Kudos
rdilauro
Channel Surfer

It turned out easier once I unplugged everything.   First, I unplugged the Roku streaming 4K device.  Then I plugged the Streambar HDMI directly into the HDMI1 port on the old tv.  Then using the Optical cable, I connected both the tv and Streambar.  Those cables are not the easiest to plug in and stay in.  But once set, it was fine.

At that point after power up, just followed some simple on screen prompts.

What made this more difficult from the start, was reading the directions.  I've always been one to follow instincts and not always what is written.  AND not trying to have the Roku 4K device in HDMI1 and the Streambar in HDMI-STE, AND not connecting the optical cable.

SO for success:

1) Plugged the HDMI Cable from the Streambar into the TV HDMI1 Port

2) Plugged in the Power cord

3) Connected the Optical cable (came in the package) from the Streambar to the TV.  Had to search the old TV to find the optical cable connection.  Its a small looking box, closed, but when you put the cable in, it opens and then snaps in

4) Followed on-screen prompts

Now, I am thinking about getting a pair of Roku wireless speakers to add to this setup.   Over all dollar for dollar, this was the least inexpensive way to get a sound bar connected and Roku streaming device to an old tv.  Less than $100

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If your TV supports HDMI-ARC (audio return channel), there's no need for the optical cable between the TV and the Streambar. ARC sends the TV audio back to the Streambar over the HDMI cable. The Streambar does support ARC. If your TV supports ARC, it likely has that labeled on the HDMI port. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
rdilauro
Channel Surfer

My old RCA does not support HDMI-ARC.  Therefore I had to use the optical cable.  It is working fine.

I've read about the pro/con of ARC vs Optical cable.  For what my purposes are, the optical cable is more than enough

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Absolutely. Go with what works for you. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos