Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slltraveler
Reel Rookie

Connecting Roku to DVR instead of TV

Is it possible to connect a Roku to the HDM1 port on the back of the DVR instead of the TV?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting Roku to DVR instead of TV

Your DVR would probably need an HDMI input in order to connect a Roku device to it.  If the port is labeled an output, then you can’t; this is because you can’t plug an output into an output, nor can you plug an input into an input.  For instance, HDMI-to-Composite converters basically connect an HDMI input into a Composite output, and are completely different from the Composite-to-HDMI converters.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@slltraveler 

Perhaps more information about your DVR would be helpful. Brand and model number may help.

I'm not familiar with one that allows inputs and passing that through to a TV, but I've never tried that. I've just not been in a situation of not having enough HDMI inputs on a TV, and certainly never where a DVR had more inputs than my TV.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

slltraveler
Reel Rookie

Thank y'all for these answers.  I did have an input on my DVR, and I tried that, but it didn't work.  I guess I'm going to have to plug the Roku into the back of the TV, but I'm going to need to get some help taking the heavy TV off the wall and putting it back up.  Thanks again.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@slltraveler 

I understand the trouble you're going through. I was fortunate enough to be able to reach the HDMI inputs on the back of a wall mounted TV fairly easily. I used a stiff HDMI cable that made it easier to push into the port once I was able to eyeball lining it up. Didn't have to remove the TV from the wall. It was a tight fit, but the TV was mounted at a slight downward angle for better viewing, so I had some play to work with.

Yes, I could have used the HDMI port on the side of the set (most have one of those) but I wanted to keep that open as long as possible for temporary connections.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

andyross
Roku Guru

Even if the DVR has HDMI inputs, they may not be usable for recording. Most HDMI outputs are encrypted and many services will refuse to send data if they detect they are connected to a recording device.

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@andyross wrote:

Even if the DVR has HDMI inputs, they may not be usable for recording. Most HDMI outputs are encrypted and many services will refuse to send data if they detect they are connected to a recording device.

So obviously, it’s not possible to connect a Roku device to a DVR at all!

Back from 2014 to 2020, my parents had a black Comcast/Xfinity DVR box in the living room, which had HDMI inputs on the back.  However, we only used the DVR box for cable.  Ever since the latter year, we got rid of the cable service, so we no longer have the box now.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos