Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldguy3
Reel Rookie

Cannot select any streaming sources with Roku Player 3

I have a simple Roku Player 3 and until a few weeks ago it has performed flawlessly. When I tap the OK button on my Roku remote, it turns on the TV, selects the correct HDMI input and displays the Roku home page. When I press the right arrow on my remote to select the streaming source, the player blinks but nothing happens. In fact, none of the arrow keys respond, If I unplug the power to the Roku player and wait a few seconds, plug it back in, the problem is solved. When I press the right arrow I can select any of the streaming sources and view their lineup of programs, If I select the HDMI input for the tv and shut it off for the evening, then I have to go through this same ritual again to watch any programs through the Roku device. There has to be a fix for this. Help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot select any streaming sources with Roku Player 3

There are two versions of the Roku 3: the 4200 released in Mar 2013 and the 4230 released in April 2015. Both are still officially supported by Roku, meaning they still receive OS updates. But they are old, let's face it.

You might first try using the Roku app on your phone and see if it will control the Roku. If so, then there's an issue with your remote. Your remote is likely a WiFi Direct model, and the fact it's responding to the initial command (and using CEC to configure the TV) shows it's correctly linked to your player. But if there are bad buttons on the remote, that would explain the rest of the problems. You can get an inexpensive universal IR remote for less than $10 at almost any store that sells home electronic stuff. Or get a new WiFi remote from Best Buy (or directly from Roku) for about $20. 

But if the player won't respond using the app to control it, then it's likely bit the dust and time for a replacement. For $25 you can walk into a Best Buy store today and get a Express 4K+, which is far more powerful than your Roku 3. You only lose the wired network connection, although the Express 4K does support an add-on USB Ethernet adapter. Just check store stock before driving to a store, as they are in limited supply, just like so many other things today. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Oldguy3
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your input.. I have a second Roku Player and that remote, which works OK on another TV, also could not access the streaming sources and other options on the Player 3. I noticed that the Player 3 had a Roku update on the 5th of December which is about the time that the remote function quit working. Is there any way to uninstall the Roku update?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There is a hidden menu that on occasion will allow rolling back one update. But it's not always reliable and your player will simply update itself again if you leave it connected. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos