Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdavie3
Channel Surfer

Can you up two rokus in the same room/side by side?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to set up two Roku streaming players on two separate televisions that are side by side in the same room?  I assume not, unless there is a way to reprogram the IR codes in one of the rokus so that the two remotes send respectively different signals that are received only by one of the two devices.  This is possible with TiVo and Directv DVRs, and I have done so with both.  But, from everything I've read Roku streaming devices are not equipped to do so (unless there's some magic hack out there!).

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can you up two rokus in the same room/side by side?

Jump to solution

All Rokus with IR recepters respond to the same set of IR commands, so you are correct, there is no way to prevent one IR remote from affecting multiple Rokus.

All Rokus sold in the last few years can also be controlled by a wifi Voice Remote which must be paired to the single Roku it is to control, so you can control the Rokus separately with multiple Voice Remotes.  The Voice Remote is $20, and the Voice Remote Pro which adds a remote listening earphone jack and a rechargeable battery is $30.  You can find them at many retailers and from Roku itself.  These remotes also can be configured to control the TV's volume, mute, and power functions by IR commands, but if your TVs respond to the same IR command set there is no way to keep one Viice Remote from controlling the other TV's functions

There is also a Roku app available for iOS and Android remote devices that can be used as a remote control.  It will control one Roku at a time and can be switched between them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sdavie3

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Yes, it is possible to set up two Roku streaming players on two separate televisions that are side by side in the same room. Each Roku streaming player would need to be connected to its own television and to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. You would also need to have separate Roku accounts for each streaming player and activate them separately. Once both streaming players are set up and activated, you can use the Roku remote or the Roku mobile app to control each device independently.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
sdavie3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How is that possible?  Wouldn’t the remote signal be received by both streaming players simultaneously irrespective of their account registrations?

0 Kudos
sdavie3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For example, if I have Roku streamer A and B and I register them to separate accounts, what prevents the signal from remote A going to both Roku A and Roku B?  Unless you reprogram the IR codes in the devices and their individual remotes so that remote A only has it’s signals received by device and remote B received by device B (this is the procedure for TiVo and Directv).  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

All Rokus with IR recepters respond to the same set of IR commands, so you are correct, there is no way to prevent one IR remote from affecting multiple Rokus.

All Rokus sold in the last few years can also be controlled by a wifi Voice Remote which must be paired to the single Roku it is to control, so you can control the Rokus separately with multiple Voice Remotes.  The Voice Remote is $20, and the Voice Remote Pro which adds a remote listening earphone jack and a rechargeable battery is $30.  You can find them at many retailers and from Roku itself.  These remotes also can be configured to control the TV's volume, mute, and power functions by IR commands, but if your TVs respond to the same IR command set there is no way to keep one Viice Remote from controlling the other TV's functions

There is also a Roku app available for iOS and Android remote devices that can be used as a remote control.  It will control one Roku at a time and can be switched between them.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@sdavie3-

... And contrary to the advice given in an earlier message, there is no problem with having the multiple TVs linked to the SAME Roku account.

0 Kudos
Lucentace

Jump to solution

Hi, I have two Roku right next to each other and two remotes are only controlling one tv, the other one is not responding to either of the remotes,

please help

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Lucentace,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're happy to help with your Roku remote, but we will need further details to investigate your issue or problem with the Roku remote.

• What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)
  • What type of remote are you using right now? (universal, simple, or voice remote)
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos