Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liigogirl

Can I update my Roku Express via my laptop instead?

I am staying in a hotel for an extended period of time, using a 4k Roku Express via USB/HDMI.  The hotel wi-fi signal is poor but my Roku generally works fine.  Amazon Prime isn't working great at the moment which I am not sure if that's related to needing to do an update.   

My software needs to update from 11.0.4193 to 11.5.0.4235 but the update doesn't complete.  It stops at 49% due to Error 05.

There's no router in the room to connect the hotel TV to.  TV channels come thru via cable.

I thought possibly I could plug my Roku Express via HDMI and USB to my laptop and update via my mobile hotspot which has a stronger signal but plugging it in didn't trigger anything on my laptop so maybe that won't work.  

Any suggestions on how I can update my Roku device would be helpful! 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I update my Roku Express via my laptop instead?

You can't update via USB, but go into the Network settings of your Express and connect to your mobile hotspot there.  Try the update and then switch back to the hotel's Wi-Fi unless you want to use up all your data.  Keep in mind that most Express devices only support 2.4GHz channels 1 to 11, so make sure your mobile hotspot is configured to use one of those.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos