Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I plug the Roku into the USB port on an outlet.

Jump to solution

I have a wall outlet with a USB port built in.  Can I plug my Roku into the USB port rather than using the AC adapter?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I plug the Roku into the USB port on an outlet.

Jump to solution

@trickdaddy97 

Although you should be able to,  would not recommend it (with following caveat).  The wall outlet USB ports typically range between around 4.5 and 6 amps, whereas the USB power adapters typically range between 1 and 2 amps. (The amp rating is basically a limiter/governor--limits the current of the charging power from the source).  The power adapter itself is basically a transformer (5volts, 1amp).

As with anything electrical, using higher amperage than originally designed/recommended is usually not a good idea.  If something malfunctions, the lower amperage is there to protect the device. (and anything nearby).  These USB combined outlets are really designed with fast-charging cell phones and tablets in mind.  The outlet USB will only provide as much power as needed by device when working properly.  It is when something malfunctions that an issue occurs and all bets are out the window.  Not too bad if you just have to replace a $40 device, but if the TV melts and the drapes catch on fire, well...

Of note, the manufacturers of the most common USB charging outlets don't mention the use of streaming devices on their spec sheets and compatibility.  With that in mind, I would err on the side of caution and limit my devices to 2 Amp maximum power adapters. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@trickdaddy97 

Although you should be able to,  would not recommend it (with following caveat).  The wall outlet USB ports typically range between around 4.5 and 6 amps, whereas the USB power adapters typically range between 1 and 2 amps. (The amp rating is basically a limiter/governor--limits the current of the charging power from the source).  The power adapter itself is basically a transformer (5volts, 1amp).

As with anything electrical, using higher amperage than originally designed/recommended is usually not a good idea.  If something malfunctions, the lower amperage is there to protect the device. (and anything nearby).  These USB combined outlets are really designed with fast-charging cell phones and tablets in mind.  The outlet USB will only provide as much power as needed by device when working properly.  It is when something malfunctions that an issue occurs and all bets are out the window.  Not too bad if you just have to replace a $40 device, but if the TV melts and the drapes catch on fire, well...

Of note, the manufacturers of the most common USB charging outlets don't mention the use of streaming devices on their spec sheets and compatibility.  With that in mind, I would err on the side of caution and limit my devices to 2 Amp maximum power adapters. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution

This was extremely helpful.  Thank you.