Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zcar46

3rd tv that is not a smart tv

Jump to solution

Currently we have 2 TCL smart roku tvs. I want to take our old non smart tv and get ROKU on it. Is what I need to purchase is the ROKU Streaming Stick + to do this? the tv does have ports to plug into. ALSO will this cause me to have a 2nd ROKU account OR can I add the stick to our existing account? Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3rd tv that is not a smart tv

Jump to solution

@Zcar46- all of the Roku streaming device models currently available connect via HDMI and will work with a tv that has an available HDMI input port.  All will work with a 720p or 1080p HD set. 

If you think  you might want to update your TV to a 4K set in the future, one of the 4K models will work with an HD set now, and provide an update path in the future.  4K models are the Streaming Stick+, Express 4K/4K+, and Ultra.

EDIT - Oops.  Forgot to answer  your second question.  You're best off just linking to the same Roku account you are already using.  This will load all your current channel apps onto the new Roku and retain access to any premium subscriptions you have take out through Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Zcar46- all of the Roku streaming device models currently available connect via HDMI and will work with a tv that has an available HDMI input port.  All will work with a 720p or 1080p HD set. 

If you think  you might want to update your TV to a 4K set in the future, one of the 4K models will work with an HD set now, and provide an update path in the future.  4K models are the Streaming Stick+, Express 4K/4K+, and Ultra.

EDIT - Oops.  Forgot to answer  your second question.  You're best off just linking to the same Roku account you are already using.  This will load all your current channel apps onto the new Roku and retain access to any premium subscriptions you have take out through Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Zcar46 

Generally, all the newer Roku devices need to be connected to a TV that has an HDMI port.  Now, there are some older models like the Express+ 3710 and 3910 that had composite cables (those RCA plugs type that went into Video and Audio ports) that you can still find on Ebay and probably Amazon.  They also sell HDMI to Composite or RCA converter boxes for use with older TVs as well that would make the newer Roku devices work with an older TV.  Keep in mind, you need the converter box, not simply an HDMI to Composite/RCA adapter cable. (The cable adapter alone will not generally work).  However, my Premiere does work with just an adapter cable so may be device specific which models require the converter box.  Generally between $10-20 for simple converters.   Since these are converters, there is some loss of video quality.  More expensive converters will give you better quality.  If you are simply using this third TV as an extra with one of the Express models or the Streaming Stick, then this may be a suitable route for you.

If you decide to go with the HDMI converter box setup mentioned above, then should be able to use any of the Roku devices available to you, be it the Streaming Stick,  Express, Express 4k/4k+, Ultra, or Streambars. (The Streambars may be the most difficult to get working though with an older TV.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Zcar46- You read and marked my previous post as a solution at the same time I was updating it.  Please go back and read it again for more information.

0 Kudos