Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pjd813
Binge Watcher

iOS remote app not connecting to Ultra with over Ethernet

Jump to solution

I’m connected over Ethernet so the wireless solutions don’t apply here. I keep getting We Did Not Find a ROKU Device on Your Network messages when I start the app and search in the app. Manually entering the address does nothing. This has been happening for a month or two and I’ve done all of the resetting, disconnect/reconnect, rebooting of every device. Still no joy.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: iOS remote app not connecting to Ultra with over Ethernet

Jump to solution

@Pjd813

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that for the Roku mobile app to work as your remote, the mobile device running the app must be connected to the same wireless network that your Roku device is connected to.

For more information about using the Roku mobile app as a remote, visit our Support page here: Use the mobile app as your remote

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Pjd813

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that for the Roku mobile app to work as your remote, the mobile device running the app must be connected to the same wireless network that your Roku device is connected to.

For more information about using the Roku mobile app as a remote, visit our Support page here: Use the mobile app as your remote

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pjd813
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This solution does not help. The ROKU remote app seems to have a mind of its own. The majority of the time it does not find the ROKU Ultra and nothing I do for troubleshooting works. The all of a sudden the ROKU shows up I. The app. No rhyme. No reason. As it turns out my ROKU is wired thru Ethernet.

0 Kudos
JPHarmon

Jump to solution

Danny:

this doesn’t answer the question. Are you trying to imply that we cannot connect the mobile app remote control to the ultra because it is not on Wi-Fi?

0 Kudos
JPHarmon

Jump to solution

Does anyone have an answer to this question?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JPHarmon,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We'd be more than happy to assist you with your query further. To clarify, to be able to utilize your Roku mobile app, your Roku streaming device and mobile phone should be connected to the same network. We highly recommend using a wireless network to be able to do this. 

Regarding the query above, they're using an ethernet (wired network connection). That's why it's not possible to utilize your Roku mobile app, as there is no option to connect your mobile phone to the same network as your device when using ethernet. We hope this clarifies your query!

If you need further clarification and assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know, and we'd be more than willing to listen and help you out as we are committed to finding a solution to your concerns. 

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jrose00

Jump to solution

I ran into this problem too, and found a surprising solution: It was an obscure security setting in the WiFi router that made it impossible for devices to communicate with each other, even though they were all on the same WiFi network.

(Yes, I was on the same private network, same WiFi channel, same IP address range. All that checked out. But still the Roku app didn’t find any TV devices. I tried lots of app settings and phone network settings and TV settings, but no joy. Google found me several problem reports like this one, but no mention of the solution. It was frustrating. Then I started fiddling with the WiFi router, and bingo. Maybe that’s your problem too. The hard part is you need to your router configuration, which is pretty obscure to most people.)

For the record, here are the steps that worked for me, on my particular router, which is an Arris SURFboard SBG8300. If your router is different there may be a similar procedure for you.

I browsed the router, which (for me) was at address http://192.168.28.1 I entered the name admin and the password I had set for that name. If someone else set up your WiFi router, you might have to ask them for the password.

I clicked through the multi-level menu: Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Networks, and located the network that my TV and my phone were on. (They were both on that same network, which is important!) The network was the 5G network from the surfboard. Then I noticed a little check-box associated with the network, titled “AP Isolation.” After I disabled the isolation feature, everything started working as advertised by the Roku instructions. Hey Roku! Those instructions should mention the AP isolation feature as a possible trouble spot.

This network that needed a check box setting was a GUEST network. My router, like many recent routers, provides guest networks. This might be important to other people: Guest networks tend to have different, more restrictive security settings. In this case, it was set to prevent guest devices from talking to each other.

This can be an issue with both Android and iOS phones, since the fix was in the router configuration.

(Why use guest networks? I have lots of guests and like to give out the network password. But I also have devices in the home I’d rather not be visible to all my guests. So those “more private” devices go on the main WiFi network with its own special password. And I use the guest network for everyday use.)

Specifically, my TV is on the guest network so that anybody who is already online in my house can use their phone as a Roku TV controller. That makes it easier than finding the lost controller. Also, the phone-based controller has a keyboard and voice capability, which is far better than the basic IR controller you get in the box with your TV.

Good luck!

0 Kudos