Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borderheeler
Reel Rookie

iOS app and remote control volume

Jump to solution

I am using the iOS Roku app to control my Roku stick on my Vizio TV.  It doesn't seem to control the volume on the TV.  I tried using the volume buttons on my phone (since there are no volume controls in the app itself) and that did nothing.  Am I missing something? Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: iOS app and remote control volume

Jump to solution

I don't believe the phone app has ever been able to control the TV volume. Remember that not every Roku remote even have volume buttons. Those that do will either control the volume via CEC, or by using IR. And you phone has no IR emitter to allow such control. I don't know which Stick you have, but my 3600 doesn't have volume buttons.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
atc98092

Jump to solution

I don't believe the phone app has ever been able to control the TV volume. Remember that not every Roku remote even have volume buttons. Those that do will either control the volume via CEC, or by using IR. And you phone has no IR emitter to allow such control. I don't know which Stick you have, but my 3600 doesn't have volume buttons.

Dan

borderheeler
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying and for making sense of the lack of volume control (that the app doesn't work via IR).  My 3800 remote does have volume control so I was hoping the app would as well.  I really wanted to use the app instead of the remote because of the app's keyboard. (Why are remotes these days so freaking minimalist?!)  So it looks like I get to choose between a keyboard or a volume button.  Sigh. Anyway, I appreciate the explanation!

atc98092

Jump to solution

@borderheeler wrote:

(Why are remotes these days so freaking minimalist?!)  

I know. I just bought a new TV for my Family Room, and one of the requirements was a remote with all the buttons. I realize I could have just bought a generic remote, but with a TV I think it's stupid to offer a remote that doesn't allow entering a channel number directly. On screen numeric keypads do not count!

Dan

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

One other note to help clarify here—the volume controls in the Roku mobile app only relate to volume control for your mobile device, such as when you are using private listening via the Roku mobile app.

e.g. - https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

manofwill2468
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Use the voice activation feature in the Roku app and say "turn volume up/down" and if your Roku can control your tv via HDMI (such as my TV/roku) then you can control volume. 

It would be nice for on screen buttons to control volume but I guess the developers didn't want that.

Jump to solution

3 of my four Roku streaming devices have lost volume control.  Is there a fix ir exlantion

Gjrm21

Jump to solution

Thanks. I just bought a new Sony TV and the Sonos arc and the app wouldn’t let me turn it on or turn the volume up or down but using the voice command did. 

It’s a little slow but better than searching for the remote.

0 Kudos
brytonb

Jump to solution

No there isnt volume control on the app. I think Roku should definitely add it though. If you lost your physical remote then you wouldnt be able to control your volume unless you have the control on your actual tv.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@brytonb

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that there is volume control on the Roku remote app, however the volume control will not support other external audio devices that are connected to your TV.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos