Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkrn57

i want to connect earbuds

Jump to solution

How can i listen with wireless Bluetooth earbuds?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: i want to connect earbuds

Jump to solution

Install the Roku app (not The Roku Channel app) on your phone or mobile device.  With a connection to your home network you can use this app to control your Roku like another remote.  One of its features is remote listening.  If you enable that and connect your Bluetooth earbuds to the phone, you're good to go.  I do this myself occasionally.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Install the Roku app (not The Roku Channel app) on your phone or mobile device.  With a connection to your home network you can use this app to control your Roku like another remote.  One of its features is remote listening.  If you enable that and connect your Bluetooth earbuds to the phone, you're good to go.  I do this myself occasionally.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
opuntia

Jump to solution

I have earbuds as well but won't work with Roku. My solution is to use the Roku app with wired earphones. There is no latency issue but hearing in real time. I paired my Bluetooth earbuds to the Roku app but lip sync is off, so it's better to use wired earphones.

0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I used this link to connect my earbuds https://www.ytechb.com/how-to-connect-bluetooth-devices-to-hisense-smart-tv/ but it does not work properly for me. Using this method  cuts off the volume to everyone else while streaming only to my earbuds. I want the sound going to my earbuds but I also want others to hear volume coming from the tv. The tv is a Hisense without Bluetooth capability. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Lgb0250  The link you posted is for a Hisense Smart TV. Not a Roku TV. Roku TVs do not have native Bluetooth. If you want to use Bluetooth headphones or earbuds then sync them to your phone and use the Roku Remote Control app. The app has a private listening feature. Unfortunately you cannot have both your tv speakers playing and headphones playing at the same time. It’s one or the other 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Lgb0250 

Certainly is possible as there used to be a setting to allow both Private Listening and others to hear the television through the speakers.  This was disabled by Roku somewhere in the 9.5 or 10.0 OS update I believe.

Don't know why or rationale behind it, but users have occasionally requested this feature to be returned.  Since no response from Roku on this matter, can reasonably assume not a priority.  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution

Man Very Happy

0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks. So assuming I cannot do this under current circumstances is there any way that I will be able to use my earbuds on my non Bluetooth capable tv and still have other people in the room hear the tv volume? Seems like with todays advanced tech that this should be an easy problem to alleviate for someone with tech knowledge. Unfortunately that leaves me out. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Lgb0250 !So you want to listen with your earbuds while others simultaneously listen through the tv speakers correct? No there isn’t a way to do that. Once private listening is enabled the sound goes directly to your earbuds. 

0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What about with using something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8Q19M2/?tag=headphonesty0420-20 Wouldn’t the audio pass through feature allow others to listen? Thanks again

0 Kudos