Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is the Roku remote app not working / connecting to my TV?

@ABarrett89 thanks for the detailed information. There's still some info that might help troubleshoot your issue. Since you are using Roku Stick players, they support both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi. Could you provide the Roku model numbers, please, so we know exactly what model Stick you have? Also, while you're in the Roku menu, look under Settings/Network, and tell us the channel number shown. If the channel is 11 or below, you're using 2.4 GHz, which is a much more crowded radio band. If the channel is other than 1, 6 or 11, it's not using an optimal channel. The channel used is controlled by the router/modem.

What is the make/model of your router? Is it a cable modem provided by your ISP, or did you purchase it? The difference is that some ISPs won't let you make some changes to the WiFi settings, and channel used might be one of them. 

Since your Roku works in one location in your home but not the other, that strongly points to interference. Trying a different WiFi channel is the first thing to attempt. If you have a cordless phone near your Roku, that might be the source of the interference. Or it could be something in a neighbor's home that affects your system more strongly in one place compared to the other. 

If your Roku is using 2.4 GHz, we need to find out why it's not using 5 GHz. The first thing to find out is if your router/modem actually offers 5 GHz. If it's older, it's possible it is only 2.4 GHz. The 5 GHz band has lower range than 2.4, but it's a much larger spectrum and less crowded, so interference is much less using that band. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Nasthma

Re: App does not find my Roku

I was having this same issue. Just had the TV “check connection” and once it checked of the last connection clicked “devices” on the app to start the search, it connected instantly. I’ve had this issue for months now. Hopefully this helps

Jfern013

Part of Danny's advice was the solution to my particular problem (TV was plugged in and on same network as phone, TV not blocked by router security, but still did not appear in app. IP added manually into app but no TV found). His advice to restart the TV did not appear to work at first as I restarted the TV by the off/on button on the remote and subsequently by selecting "system restart" via settings>system>power. Neither worked but... when I did a proper power cycle (yanked the TVs power cable from the wall and left it unplugged for 20 seconds to let residual power drain from the TV and then plugged it back in) it worked. I had done this trying to see if the TV would release its IP. It did not (the IP is likely being assigned by my router who is reserving it for the TV - normal behavior). The procedure of unplugging the TV had the magic I needed to get the app to start functioning again. Speculation: There must be something held in cache or capacitors that do not allow a full reset until the power is fully drained.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jfern013 wrote:

Speculation: There must be something held in cache or capacitors that do not allow a full reset until the power is fully drained.

That's common with many electrical devices. Old fashioned tube TVs could hold high voltage in their power supplies for a half hour or more. When I had older tube powered ham radio equipment, you never stuck your hand inside the case until it was unplugged and you either discharged the power supply capacitors or waited a good spell. With solid state devices, 30 seconds is usually more than enough to fully drain any residual power. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ariesangel

Hey everyone I solved this issue. I know this is an old post but it’s the first one to pop up on google for this issue. i tried EVERYTHING for months and gave up and tried again tonight nothing would work, even a new phone entirely now. When i put it in manually it said the IP address wasn’t found. I did some googling and did a force restart on my roku tv by pressing home button 5 times, up button once, rewind twice and fast forward twice, it freezes for like 30 seconds and restarts itself. i then went onto the app and tried manually connecting it and it immediately connected. hope this helps someone! 

0 Kudos
Ldupuy52643
Reel Rookie

Is there any way to get it to connect to a guest network? Or is this up for security reasons? Thanks 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Ldupuy52643 wrote:

Is there any way to get it to connect to a guest network? Or is this up for security reasons? Thanks 

Unlikely. Guest networks always have that security setting enabled, and for good reason. But when it's enabled, it's not possible to use things like the Roku app or any sort of screen sharing. If it's your personal network, you could certainly disable it. But it's really not recommended from a security standpoint.

Dan

0 Kudos
theBSman
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem on my iPhone XS and my Roku Express. Can someone please let me know if there’s a positive fix for this? Thanks. [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @theBSman

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Make sure the mobile device and the Roku player are connected to the same WiFi network. We recommend that you try restarting your wireless network, and then rebooting both your device and mobile app. For other troubleshooting steps that would guide you connect the Roku Mobile app to your device, you may check this How to connect the Roku® mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
theneets

wow! This simple trick worked. Checked the connection and then opened the Roku app and voila! It was connected. Thank you for sharing your solution.

Quick tl;Dr: go to Roku tv network settings and check connection there. 

0 Kudos