Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G1999

Why is the Roku remote app not working / connecting to my TV?

My WiFi is already connected to both my phone and Roku, but whenever i try to connect the app to my Roku it just keeps searching for devices (doesn’t find any, just keeps searching).

I tried putting in the IP address manually but it says no Roku found at this IP address. Not sure what to do, my WiFi does not have guest more or AP isolation (checked that)...

Any advice ?

96 REPLIES 96
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is the Roku remote app not working / connecting to my TV?

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

We recommend that you try restarting your wireless network, and then rebooting both your device and mobile app. 

For other troubleshooting steps to connect the Roku Mobile app to your device please visit our Support page: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
huvaphonic

Re: App does not find my Roku

Hey Danny....what if we've already tried all that? I've done all the things in the linked article, as well as reinstall the app. My internet provider saw no reasons why there would be an issue and recommended that I get answers from Roku.
Erparus
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issues. It used to be occasionally, but recently I have to remotely restart my wifi constantly to even attempt to reconnect my app.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I realize the OP already mentioned checking this, but for the others: check your router/access point and make sure your WiFi isn't configured to hide your local network from a connected device. This is a security feature that are usually enabled in hotels and other public access points. But it could be enabled in your router as well. Also, make sure the Roku and the phone are on the same network. By this, I mean they have the same range of IP address (the first three of the four segments of the IP address are the same, i.e 192.168.0.xxx). Some access points have what might be labeled Guest networks, and these are not able to see other devices on your main network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Skdzn

I’m having the same issue too and I’ve also tried all the suggested steps. It sees it, it shows the serial #but can’t connect saying it can’t find it. I even tried without cellular, just Wifi. Taft didn’t work either.

I'm having the same issue.  Android phone App remote won't connect to the Roku stick.  Stick and handheld remote works great and no problems streaming the Spectrum App but can't get the App on Android phone to connect to the stick. 

The IP address the stick shows is 255.xxxxx not the 192.xxxx I see in all the documentation.  

Both are on the same 5G wireless network.

atc98092

@Sandman0630 wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  Android phone App remote won't connect to the Roku stick.  Stick and handheld remote works great and no problems streaming the Spectrum App but can't get the App on Android phone to connect to the stick. 

The IP address the stick shows is 255.xxxxx not the 192.xxxx I see in all the documentation.  

Both are on the same 5G wireless network.

An IP address starting with 255 is invalid. Any home network should have an IP address within the following ranges:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

• 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

• 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

All other IP address ranges are considered public, and only used on the Internet. But any address that starts with a Zero or 255 is considered reserved and not assignable. 

You mention being on a 5G network. Note that 5G refers to a cellular wireless service, and not home WiFi. A home WiFi network is either 2.4 or 5 GHz, and yes there is a difference between cellular and WiFi. If you truly mean you're connected to a 5G cellular network, that is a public network and the Roku app will not work over it. The app has to be on a device connected to a home network (2.4 or 5 GHz, doesn't matter) and the IP addresses in use have to be within the ranges listed above. 

So, if your Roku Stick really has an IP address that starts with 255, your home network is mis-configured and needs to be altered to use an address in the range above. Your wireless router (which is likely your Internet access point as well) is what is responsible for assigning your internal network addresses. Look in your router settings for something labeled DHCP server, find the address range being assigned, and change it to use one of the ranges listed above. 192.168.0.0 is by far the most commonly used, although Linksys often used 192.168.1.x. When you change the DHCP settings, the router should be smart enough to alter it's own IP address to match, but check it to be sure or nothing on your network will work. 

Dan

JLM76

I’m experiencing the same issue. Does the app only allow you to connect one Roku device at a time? I am using 4 Roku devices. I added the app and easily connected to the 1st tv’s device. However, I’ve never been able to get it to connect to the other devices. It looks as if its trying to find a 2nd device, but can’t. I’ve even tried finding the others manually, but that also was to no avail. 

atc98092

@JLM76 wrote:

I’m experiencing the same issue. Does the app only allow you to connect one Roku device at a time? I am using 4 Roku devices. I added the app and easily connected to the 1st tv’s device. However, I’ve never been able to get it to connect to the other devices. It looks as if its trying to find a 2nd device, but can’t. I’ve even tried finding the others manually, but that also was to no avail. 

Yes, the app will only control one device at a time. But at least in my case, it shows multiple devices, as well as my Premiere, which at this moment is in my suitcase from a trip last week. It is also indicating it is scanning my network for additional devices. But I can successfully select and control any of my online devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos