Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arkhane
Channel Surfer

Why is the Roku mobile app not available in the iOS app store? (Based in Japan)

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku in Japan where I live, but do not have the Roku app in the Apple Store.

How can I install the app? Any QR code?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Why is the Roku mobile app not available in the iOS app store? (Based in Japan)

Jump to solution

Hey @arkhane

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that any Roku Player or TV can be activated to any Roku account, however, channel availability and Roku app access will vary from region to region. Channels and features like the Roku app that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Roku mobile app UI (Source: Roku.com)Roku mobile app UI (Source: Roku.com)

Other related topics:

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is the Roku mobile app not available in the iOS app store? (Based in Japan)

Jump to solution

@arkhane wrote:

I bought a Roku in Japan where I live,...

Since Roku isn't supported nor is it sold through official channels in Japan, your buying one there is no different than buying one out of the trunk of someone's car. You bought a Roku through an unofficial channel without support. It may or may not work. Roku won't tell you that it will work, because officially, it's unsupported. Unsupported means no support. So really, don't complain about lack of support if you buy an unsupported item. That's what unsupported means.

@arkhane wrote:

... but do not have the Roku app in the Apple Store.

How can I install the app? ...

You can't. There is no Roku app in the Japan Apple app store because ... wait for it .., Roku isn't supported or sold through official channels in Japan. Japan is not a Roku market, therefore no app there.

Just to let you know, sometimes people who buy Roku devices in unsupported areas do have success with Roku apps working. However, many major developers do not support their app in areas where Roku itself isn't supported. Your Roku experience will likely be unsatisfactory.

You may be happier with an Apple TV, an Amazon Fire TV device, or a Google Chromecast. That is, if they are sold there (I think they are).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @arkhane

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that any Roku Player or TV can be activated to any Roku account, however, channel availability and Roku app access will vary from region to region. Channels and features like the Roku app that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Roku mobile app UI (Source: Roku.com)Roku mobile app UI (Source: Roku.com)

Other related topics:

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
arkhane
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you...but that does not answer my question..

Is there any way I can install the app from Japan?

0 Kudos
arkhane
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

love how your answers to not answer anything...

I bought it in Japan through amazon.jp...so the app should be avaialble per your answer no...? Then it is not available.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My unofficial rule is to go to roku.com and click on the country selector in the lower right corner.  If your country is one of the ones on that list, then things will probably work quite well.  If not, things are likely to go less well and probably no one here will know the answers to your questions. 

Sorry, but Japan is not on that list.  The list of countries is really quite small so far.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@arkhane wrote:

I bought a Roku in Japan where I live,...

Since Roku isn't supported nor is it sold through official channels in Japan, your buying one there is no different than buying one out of the trunk of someone's car. You bought a Roku through an unofficial channel without support. It may or may not work. Roku won't tell you that it will work, because officially, it's unsupported. Unsupported means no support. So really, don't complain about lack of support if you buy an unsupported item. That's what unsupported means.

@arkhane wrote:

... but do not have the Roku app in the Apple Store.

How can I install the app? ...

You can't. There is no Roku app in the Japan Apple app store because ... wait for it .., Roku isn't supported or sold through official channels in Japan. Japan is not a Roku market, therefore no app there.

Just to let you know, sometimes people who buy Roku devices in unsupported areas do have success with Roku apps working. However, many major developers do not support their app in areas where Roku itself isn't supported. Your Roku experience will likely be unsatisfactory.

You may be happier with an Apple TV, an Amazon Fire TV device, or a Google Chromecast. That is, if they are sold there (I think they are).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
arkhane
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

thank you

that's what I expect as minimum answer

0 Kudos
arkhane
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to install the app

Jump to solution

" your buying one there is no different than buying one out of the trunk of someone's car. You bought a Roku through an unofficial channel without support. It may or may not work. Roku won't tell you that it will work, because officially, it's unsupported. Unsupported means no support. So really, don't complain about lack of support if you buy an unsupported item. "

Completely rude answer:

1) never heard buying a product sold by amazon was like "out of the trunk". Doubt amazon will agree with you

2) it is every company's to make the information clear about the product they sell. 

and four your information I could finally get the app by changing the app store on my iphone. Create a dummy address then download the app from the US apple store.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You may or may not be aware of this, but many items sold ON Amazon are not sold BY Amazon.  Amazon lets its many partners (small shops) sell on its website as well. I went to amazon.jp and searched for Roku and none of the ones I found were labeled as "Sold by Amazon", but rather were sold by: 世界総本舗, Amazing Japan, Oct Inc. Ozoglu Store, EMRE USA GLOBAL, etc.  (Oh and one of the top results was for a model from 2015.)

Some of these shops are fine and sell things that you may not be able to get through any official channels.  Some of these shops can be "questionable".  Years ago, before I was aware that Amazon was not just Amazon, I bought a copy of Microsoft Office that turned out to be fake. So, I recommend always checking the "Sold by" field.

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku employees here are probably not allowed to give a clear but negative answer.

The people responding gave you the clear negative answer voluntarily but without recompense.

Not a Roku employee