Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

Re: Video, music and photo sharing/casting will not work

Yes yes I already did it..  I already know how to clean individual apps.  Same thing -- no casting at all

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@OddyseyT 

There certainly can be some quirks when getting the mobile app to work.  Usually can at least get the "Play on Roku" screen to appear on the TV.

Maybe just a checklist so we can see where we are at.  This thread is a bit long so not sure of some things.

1. Both the Roku device and phone on same network. (seems so since you are connected to device).

2. In the Roku Settings set to Always Allow for testing. (Settings/System/Screen Mirroring/Screen Mirroring Mode/Always Allow)

3. In the Android, permissions for the Mobile App enabled (App/Roku/Permissions - I have Microphone and Storage enabled).

4. When you get into the screen (the screenshot that says "septembertrip"), try pressing the purple Cast icon in upper right.  This should launch the Play on Roku.  Normally just have to tap on a picture, but the Cast button should launch also.  Sometimes you may get "Image unavailable", but remedied normally by pressing Play (which should start a slide show).

5.. Often times, I may have an issue with videos that require either restarting the phone or the Roku device and trying again.  Usually the only issue I run into with photos is just the image unavailable. (this was what I meant before - what are you not seeing).

----

Before you try the above, try restarting both your phone and Roku device and establish new connection.  Then try above.  Feel free to post back with an update as to what is occurring.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

Check on each item on that list -- including restarting both devices.  The buttons on the play screen don't do anything on the tv at all.  I tried the purple cast button in top right, nothing happened on the tv.  The only button on the play screen that does anything at all is the stop (square) and sometimes the top left arrow takes the picture off of my phone screen, but the buttons have no effect on the roku or tv at all.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@OddyseyT 

I am wondering if perhaps a firewall or other isolation setting may be preventing the two devices from interacting with each other.  (Not strongly thinking this since recognizes remote control input, though).

I know you didn't like the ad-based apps, but both Web Video Caster and Rokify (Castify) have this screen mirroring/casting ability for photos and videos.  I use and trust both of them.  

If you can try one of those and see if these will connect to your Roku device and play the slideshow or a video stored on your phone's storage, then points stronger to a problem with the Roku mobile app.  If you cannot get these two apps to work, then I would be more inclined to look at a network setting or a phone setting/compatibility issue.

If you can try the above and report your findings, and still no luck, then I think your issue may need to be escalated to Roku Support to see if it is something that needs to be looked at and resolved by their team.

---

As a sidenote, I use CCleaner for Android and Bleachbit for my Linux.  Stick with what works.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar @OddyseyT  Good advice from AvsGunnar as usual. I use to be an Android user. Now I’m iOS. Love my 13 Pro Max. This is totally off topic but think hard before you use CCleaner anymore. Pre Avast days it was good. I used in on my Windows laptop. But after Avast purchased it there has been nothing but serious issues

https://www.groovypost.com/news/ccleaner-for-windows-hacked-to-spread-malware-update-now/:~:text=%E2....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16325202/ccleaner-hack-malware-security

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/18/avast-reckons-ccleaner-malware-infected-2-27m-users/amp/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/hackers-target-avasts-ccleaner-again-using-stolen-vpn-logins?amp=true

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

Yes. Rokify works fine.  Haven't tried the other app you mentioned.  But I can cast to the screen with it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@OddyseyT 

Then I don't think it is anything you are doing wrong or network related.  It seems to be simply something wrong with the Roku mobile app. (either just a functional issue or a compatibility issue).   Especially since Rokify uses Roku's Play On feature similar to the Remote mobile app.

Would lean more toward a functional issue since none of the operational buttons appear to be working and invoking a response when trying to cast.

Tagging @RokuDanny-R@RokuKariza-D , and @RokuMary-F to see if they can forward to the appropriate team and look at the issue.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@OddyseyT 

OS11 is missing the Play On Roku (3.4.3) middleware app on non-4K/HDR devices, which is why nothing happens when you use the cast function of the Roku Mobile app.

@RokuDanny-R  @RokuMary-F  @RokuKariza-D 

Please escalate this issue of the missing Play on Roku (3.4.3) middleware module/app in OS11 (build 4180).

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers  They aren’t running Roku OS 11. They have 10.5

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Ello2022 

That indicates the Play on Roku middleware app is missing from OS 10.5.0-4208 (and possibly previous OS10.5 builds) on non 4K/HDR devices as well (a pretty significant version-spanning regression error).

This may also possibly be stealth "functionality removal" for non-4K/HDR devices (not uncommon with Roku).

Regardless, that makes it even more important for this to be escalated to the firmware engineers.

@RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F @RokuKariza-D 

0 Kudos