Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsiphon
Reel Rookie

Tcl 7120x no expert settings

Tested up to date roku apps on 4+ devices for the last several months (pixel 4xl, 3a, 6, and now pixel 7). Expert picture settings via roku app always result in an error suggesting j restart my device.

Restarting TV doesn't work, nor does restarting my app, or my phone. Clearing cache and storage of the app doesn't work. Changing internet networks doesn't work. 

What would work is putting the settings on the TV like a normal picture quality function. Regardless, a solution to get the app to work would be nice. I understand some users have had luck with some outdated roku app version but I don't know which. I haven't found anything on reddit or otherwise of users getting the app to work in this regard. 

11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Tcl 7120x no expert settings

@tsiphon

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, can you please provide:
-mobile device brand, model, and OS version
-Roku mobile app version

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tsiphon
Reel Rookie

-mobile device brand, model, and OS version

Google pixel 7, Android 13. Though I've tried multiple different pixel devices running Android 11 and 12 as well. 

-Roku mobile app version: 8.7.2.1324975

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tsiphon

Thanks for the follow up.

I've passed along the additional information you've provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more detailed information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mbryanr
Reel Rookie

Re: App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Just wow. Checked for rtings as a start on my new TCL roku 55S455. Well... Operation error.. Only to find a 2 year old thread and some work around that randomly work o;o specific hardware. Cmon Roku. Get your app fixed. 

12paq
Reel Rookie

Yeah it's crazy. And in my opinion unprofessional of Roku and TCL.

I work around above actually worked a few times for me now. The serious issue is we shouldn't have to do work arounds. The bug should have been reported and then fixed. That's what all other companies do.

It's just ridiculous and unprofessional, period. 

@Roku are you even listening and reading your own forums?? 

mbryanr
Reel Rookie

Agreed 100%.If anyone wants the old version link that worked for me, on Android 11, search for this problem on xda developers. Iirc it was a version of 6.07

0 Kudos
photobug56
Streaming Star

I reached out to ROKU and they were 'surprised' to hear that there was a problem - this somewhat after TCL tech support told me that they reached out to ROKU to ask them to fix it.  It's impossible for me to comprehend how ROKU continues to pretend there's no problem there, kind of like each person who reports it to ROKU is the only person affected and that they've never heard about it before.

FWIW, I have 2 TCL ROKU 4k tv's.  When I got the first, EPS was still working.  With the 2nd, I spent many hours on the workarounds and was once able to adjust gamma, making the TV somewhat usable.  After a while the workarounds stopped working or were just too painful to use.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, can you please provide:

• mobile device brand, model, and OS version
  • Roku mobile app version

Once we have that information, I'll be able to pass it along to be looked into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tsiphon
Reel Rookie

I'm the original poster... My two TV models that the same problem exists on are both TCL roku tv, model 7120x as well as C112x. They have always been up to date on the TV software side, and all phones used to test have been up to date on the roku app. This problem has persisted throughout numerous versions of Android.

Alot of responses from people with similar issues, but no solution yet? I see there's similar posts from years ago but no official response from roku beyond "we forwarded your concern."

Here's a link to a support thread here from 2021 that is very long and details tons of people with the same problem. https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-mobile-app/App-Crashes-on-Expert-Picture-Settings/td-p/655252. The original poster updated it to say roku support contacted him personally to say it was android 10s fault, but given the exact issue persists on all Android versions and even iOS I do not believe that's possible.

Are we to assume this will never be fixed by roku and that our TVs are permanently missing an integral user end feature expected in a general TV purchase?