Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avezes
Channel Surfer

Roku remote app on android

Anybody else seen this? 

I open the remote spp on my Android and it works fine. While watching a program i launch another app, ex: facebook,  and when i go back to the Roku app, it just had the spinning circle and it's hung. I have to completely exit the app and relaunch. 

This happens every single time.

I have updated the app, uninstalled and registered, deleted all of the data save cache, and still it keeps happening. 

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote app on android

Hi @avezes,

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Please be advised that buffering usually occurs when your internet connection provided by your ISP cannot supply data fast enough for the playback device. Try these simple tips and troubleshooting steps as this may help with the connectivity issue: Improve your Wi-Fi.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Antnat

Lianna, there is clearly a problem with the Roku app. Your generic response of deflecting the blame to a Wi-Fi connection only supports this. In case you bothered to look at all the reviews on your app you'll see that there are many people having the same problem. The only reason why I got the Roku so I can do private listening on my TV in the bedroom, which is located only 15 ft from the router. This is useless if it keeps cutting out every 10 to 20 minutes. I've gone through all the steps of fixing it and the problem still exists. If there was a problem with the Wi-Fi the picture would stop also, in my other SmartTV would be affected, which it hasn't The problem is the app starts searching for other devices while it's still CONNECTED.. And when this happens it actually stops the regular remote from working so you can't even pause the stream until the audio goes back on.  Why don't you just own up to the fact that there's something wrong with their app and use those wonderful technological minds, update the app and fix it, or does that make too much sense.

avezes
Channel Surfer

It occurs in any channel. The spp cannot find the device after the app had been in the back ground

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @avezes,

Thanks for following up.

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help. We would recommend making sure that you connect your mobile device to the same wireless network as your Roku device.

If the issue still persists after making sure that both the Roku device and mobile are connected to the same wireless network, please try the following suggestions:

• Restart your Roku device. To restart your Roku device, you can either unplug the power cable, wait a moment, and then reconnect it. Or you can use the following steps to restart it from the Settings menu.
    1. Press Home on your Roku remote
    2. Scroll and select Settings
    3. Select System
    4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
    5. Select System restart

After your Roku device powers back on, make sure it is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.

• Restart the Roku mobile app.
  • Connect to your Roku device manually. Locate the IP address of your Roku device by going to Settings > Network > About, and then use the steps below to connect manually.
    1. Launch the Roku mobile app
    2. Tap Devices 
    3. Tap Get help?
    4. Select Connect Manually
    5. Enter the IP address of your Roku device and tap CONNECT

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
avezes
Channel Surfer

BTW, Im curious why do many companies use that generic "check your wifi". In 27 years of working in networking, I have encounter maybe a dozen times that the 802.11 connectivity was actually the source problem.

Has that ever fixed an issue for y'all?

Unless there is an indicator that WiFi is the problem, like the user had 500 devices on their home network that they are using to ask for help, on the network, theN please start off with advice that might be helpful. Step 1 to fixing an Android app should always be clear the app cache (and maybe data if that is applicable). 

I'm not trying to be rude here. I spent years working front end in the network operations center. There are methodologies to troubleshooting. 

avezes
Channel Surfer

Did not help...

I'm getting tired of being Roku's quality assurance team. It is not an the customer to troubleshoot your product

0 Kudos