Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TraciN

Roku not playing on phone while away from home.

Jump to solution

I was able to play #Roku on my #Iphone as of Monday 12/19/22, however it will not allow me to play my shows away from home on my phone now.  How can I fix this to where I can watch Roku on my mobile device anywhere again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku not playing on phone while away from home.

Jump to solution

Hi @monroemann 

Thanks for the follow up regarding your inquiry of the watching content through the Roku mobile app.

Please be aware that you will limited access to what content you can streaming through the Roku mobile app when watching The Roku Channel as the mobile app does not have the full capabilities as that of a Roku device. In most cases, Roku customers will bring their Roku device with them when traveling so they can continue watching when not at home.

We hope this provides clarification regarding what you are experiencing. If you have any other inquiries in the future, please don't hesitate in posting in the Roku Community again.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@TraciN

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What exactly is happening on your mobile device when this issue occurs?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
monroemann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I confirm the same. Anytime I’m away from home, it says I have to wake my smart tv. But I can’t connect to my home tv when I’m away from home. So it won’t let me watch anything. So how can I watch Roku on my phone when away from home?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @monroemann

Thanks for your post. 

We'd like to know more about the issue you are experiencing so we can best assist you. Would you mind giving us more details regarding your concern? Are you using the Roku mobile app when getting this message? Kindly walk us through the issue you are seeing.

Let us know any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem.

Regards,
Nimfa

monroemann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Nimfa,

I have the Roku mobile app, yes. But I received your reply via email. 

I downloaded the newest version of the Roku app, but still doesn’t work. 

When I open the app, and click on “Continue Watching” for any of my shows, at the bottom, it says, “Please connect to a device” in a pop up. I click it and my only two options are my two home televisions. Next to both it says, “wake this device”.  But I can’t wake them—I am hundreds of miles away.  So for the last 5 days, I have been unable to watch anything that I’m paying for on Roku: AcornsTV, Great Courses, Roku, etc. 

I shouldn’t have to “connect to a device” to watch my shows. Note that I am signed in on the app. So I don’t know why I have to connect to a device. My phone is the device! 🙂

-Monroe

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @monroemann 

Thanks for the follow up regarding your inquiry of the watching content through the Roku mobile app.

Please be aware that you will limited access to what content you can streaming through the Roku mobile app when watching The Roku Channel as the mobile app does not have the full capabilities as that of a Roku device. In most cases, Roku customers will bring their Roku device with them when traveling so they can continue watching when not at home.

We hope this provides clarification regarding what you are experiencing. If you have any other inquiries in the future, please don't hesitate in posting in the Roku Community again.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
monroemann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That makes no sense. Why would I ever use my phone to watch my Roku shows when I’m at home: the tv is right there. 

What then is the purpose of the app if you can’t use it to watch Roku when away?  Every other mobile app I have (Netflix, HBO, Paramount+, etc) slows me to watch on the go from my phone.

Why not Roku?

If I can’t watch from my phone, then I will consider canceling all my Roku subscriptions and signing up directly with the providers. 

KathyKay
Reel Rookie

Roku app and traveling the USA

Jump to solution

I am planning to travel with an RV this summer and will be using my Ipad as my access to WI FI when available. I downloaded the ROKU app to be able to get my subscription I have subscribed through ROKU.

I am having trouble with the ROKU app on my Ipad to connect to my HBO Max subscription purchased through ROKU.  I cannot find the subscription section anywhere on the app.  

Also when I see my home screen, I see the HBO MAX icon in the ROKU app.  When I click it to launch, it gives an error message of " Launching a channel is not available without a connection to your ROKU device".  I am assuming this means the ROKU app is not a stand alone app, and needs my TV to connect?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
monroemann
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku app and traveling the USA

Jump to solution

I’m as frustrated as you are. Last year I could play everything via my Roku app on my phone. Now only when I’m on my home wifi network and connected to the tv can I watch on my phone. Which makes no sense.  Super mad at Roku. 

0 Kudos