Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucasm30
Reel Rookie

Roku mobile app wont play some titles

I watch shows for free with the Roku mobile app. Now some shows won't play anymore. When I try to watch House or Reno 911, I get a message that says unable to play. What gives? I've really been enjoying the free content and I want to keep using the app. Some roku shows will still play but the ones I actually want to watch will not play. It will show me the episode title screen with the episode thumbnail image, but when it goes to play I get the unable to watch message. This IS free roku content which doesn't require a paid subscription. This isnt, say, Netflix channel stuff, for instance. Please help

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Roku mobile app wont play some titles

The Roku Remote Control app is an extension of your Roku device. From within the Roku ecosystem there are free and subscription channels (apps). Roku offers “some” free content through the Roku channel. Most of these shows or movies are released from the networks themselves. Reno 911 is owned by Comedy Central. They only release certain seasons and episodes for free. Tons of networks do this. 
Roku does not own the streaming rightsRoku does not own the streaming rights

0 Kudos
lucasm30
Reel Rookie

The new season of Reno is roku exclusive. I'm playing roku's free content. I don't have a roku device. I'm just trying to watch their content on their mobile app. Much of roku's free content on their own channel won't play. It says unable to play video, try again later. I've been trying again for over a week. Something is broken. I used to be able to view these specific programs, but not anymore 😞

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

The remote control app is not the same as the Roku channel. Both items are for people who have a Roku device. It is not a free streaming channel like Crackle, Tubi or PlutoTV. You also did not say which phone you are using and what OS it is running. The Roku channel offers free content. I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3.1. I have the Roku Remote Control app version 8.2. I am not home at the moment so I opened up the app. Went to the Roku channel on the app and select "ABC News Live". Presto it is playing. I also went to 'Any Given Sunday" movie and presto it plays. I went to Reno 911! Defunded and played S1 E1. It works. Reno 911! Defunded only shows season 1. Not sure I am following you. Can you be more specific please. 

0 Kudos
lucasm30
Reel Rookie

I'm using the roku app on android, just roku app. It doesn't say anything about a remote in the name, although there is a remote function, that I have never used. It was working fine until recently. Now some programs play, some don't. I always get the try again later message. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

The official app from Roku is called "Roku Official Remote Control". It is made by Roku. There are about 10 other so called Roku apps but they are not made by Google. The current version is 8.1.0.905869 updated on February 5, 2022. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote&hl=en_US&gl=US 

0 Kudos
Joe_Blough
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem trying to watch House from the app on my Galaxy tablet. 

When I touch continue watching House from the home screen, I breifly get the spinning wheel then nothing. If I go to the Roku channel, I get the Something went wrong with playback, try again later" error.

0 Kudos
Joe_Blough
Reel Rookie

Oddly enough, last night it magically started working to where I was able to watch House again.

PFM!

0 Kudos