Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr__E
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku app pausing Bluetooth music every 5 minutes

I'm glad I came across a random reddit post that suggested the Roku app might be the culprit,  since removing it seems to have fixed my issue. But I don't think that's the whole picture. I've had the Roku app on my phone for a while, but only noticed this behavior after updating to Android 12. I don't have the means to revert the OS version to validate my findings, but apparently there were some changes on the OS level for the bluetooth stack.

Others have mentioned this occurring after an app update. I don't need the app frequently to bother with it, but it may be worth sideloading old APKs and seeing if the problem persists.

JustCallMeDan
Reel Rookie

Well that Reddit post seems to be getting a lot of traction right now, judging by the increasing number of comments saying the user uninstalled the Roku app and fixed the problem.

Roku folks, are you seeing this? Is it in the issues list somewhere, either to be or currently being investigated or addressed?

vandykej17
Reel Rookie

@Mr__E FWIW this is happening with my pixel 2 XL on Android 11. But it could've been a change for both 11 & 12.

What confuses me is how l removed all permissions for the Roku app, but it's clearly still messing with my BT settings. Maybe BT falls under permissions that all applications get by default 🤷‍♂️

I hadn't thought of installing old APKs to test, might try that if I can find one I trust.

Jake

0 Kudos
Mr__E
Channel Surfer

@vandykej17 There's a difference between an app directly controlling bluetooth and it using the audio subsystem. If you're jamming out to tracks streaming on Spotify via your bluetooth headphones, it's not Spotify that's communicating with your Bluetooth headset directly. Spotify tells Android that it has music to play and Android dictates how it's outputted - whether that's via the phone's speakers, the plugged in audio cable, some USB device, or bluetooth.

So without knowing too much about Roku's design, it could be that the app is requesting Audio Focus. That's a feature that explicitly declares that the application needs to take over audio and other apps currently playing should pause their own audio streams. Think of how you expect your phone to behave when you're getting a phone call. You don't want to keep playing your music, so the Phone app requests Audio Focus and the music fades out.

0 Kudos
dm10

So thankful I found this thread... Roku fix ur technology.  Until then I have to remove roku because my phone is unusable with it on it.

0 Kudos

In the reddit thread there is detail on turning off a reconnect setting it search setting in the Roku app.  

Im a dexcom user and changing that setting in the Roku app  fixed my audio issues 

Ill find the details in my history later 

0 Kudos
vice350z

Was going crazy for a week trying to figure out why the **bleep** my BT audio would stop after 10 seconds all of a sudden on my Moto Edge. Couldn't find anything online about it. Posted to the Lenovo forums to see if anyone else had issues...but no one did. Tried everything, nothing worked so I factory reset the phone and everything worked like normal again.

Using the Roku in my bedroom, i installed the app again. Next day I go to listen to some music through BT and it was happening again...NOOOOOOOO...tried to think if there was anything I recently installed and remembered I just installed Roku. Uninstalled and issue resolved!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one having issues. 

0 Kudos