Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

Roku app on Pixel 3a+ suddenly can't see my Roku 2100 XDS

In the past few weeks, the Android mobile app has stopped working on my PIxel 3a+ (Android 11).  It no longer can see my Roku 2100 XDS (yes, I know, it's old but it worked a month ago. And yes, I'm certain the Pixel and the Roku are on the same wifi network).  OTOH, the Roku app still works fine an older Android phone (Android 7). Did a recent Android 11 update break the app?

Probably related: my Pixel no longer can cast from the Youtube app to the Roku.  But my Android 7 app can cast to the Roku. 

Any ideas?   Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku app on Pixel 3a+ suddenly can't see my Roku 2100 XDS

I can't believe a 2100 is still usable. I put my 3100 in a drawer years ago because it was useless for some channels. 😄

I believe you probably nailed it that some Android update broke the app on that particular phone. There are pros and cons about using an Open Source operating system like Android, and tight control over app functionality is one of the cons. I'm no expert in Android, only having a few streaming players that use it. I have no idea if it's a change that Roku must update their app to fix, or if the Android developers broke something in an update they they have to resolve. I suggest submitting a trouble report to the Android developers, as well as your notification here. Hopefully @RokuDanny-R or one of the other Roku staff here on the forum can get this problem info to their developers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

I've reported it on Google's Android forum. it might take some pressure from Roku to get them to fix it. But right now might not be a good time for Google to flex their monopoly power.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@a__l__a__n

Thanks for the posts.

As @atc98092 mentioned, the Roku XDS (2100) is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

Thank you for offering to help.  The serial number of my Roku is 1GU4AW019940.

Note that I mis-identified the model.  The attached picture shows the model as 4200X which I believe was introduced in 2013.  I bought a previous model 2100 XDS in 2011 but I forgot that I replaced it at some point later with this unit.

roku serial number.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, the 4200 is the Roku 3, which was an excellent player. It is also still supported by Roku. It has some limitations in resolution (only does 1080p at 30 Hz) and memory, but Roku does still provide OS updates for it. I do believe your issue is with the Pixel3a+, not the Roku. Especially since your other device can see the Roku. Hope the Android people help you out. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos