Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HaleyDWebb

Roku app not connecting to roku device

Jump to solution
I'm on the hotel dorm connect and I've connected the app to my device before, it worked fine. In trying to connect again and the app will not pull up my device. Ive restarted the device and my phone. They're on the same network, too.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku app not connecting to roku device

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

We recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps outlined in our Support page here: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device? 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

We recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps outlined in our Support page here: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device? 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@HaleyDWebb wrote:
I'm on the hotel dorm connect and I've connected the app to my device before, it worked fine. In trying to connect again and the app will not pull up my device. Ive restarted the device and my phone. They're on the same network, too.

Public WiFi, such as a dorm or hotel, usually make other devices on the same network hidden. So depending on the network settings (nothing that you as a use can access) you might not be able to use the app. If it worked before but not now, chances are the network admins saw their mistake and have enabled the hidden feature. 

Trust me, this is something you should have on a public network. You don't want other people to be able to see your devices, because that's the first step to getting hacked. And if you could see your Roku on the app, so could anyone else on the network. Not safe at all. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PurpleSky
Channel Surfer

iPhone 8plus not connecting to Roku app

Jump to solution

Hello Danny,

I used to be able to connect but today I can't. I see the android phone can but not mines.  I tried connecting manually. I noticed missing two numbers so I inserted but still can't connect.  Is there anything you can help. I can checked what you posted to the other person. I did everything still can't connect to the device. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ladywins

Re: iPhone 8plus not connecting to Roku app

Jump to solution

I’m gaveling the same problem with my iPhone x

0 Kudos
Ladywins

Jump to solution

The steps are not working for me I have an iPhone is that why

0 Kudos
Thanns

Jump to solution

Im having the same problem on my iPhone 8 and have tried everything in their so called help guide...anyone found an actual solution? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Thanns wrote:

Im having the same problem on my iPhone 8 and have tried everything in their so called help guide...anyone found an actual solution? 

Have you confirmed your phone and Roku are connected to the same WiFi network? That is, your iPhone is showing a WiFi connection rather than a cellular connection?

If so, is your iPhone in WiFi Assist mode? If it's using cellular to assist the WiFi connection, turn that option off.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
PuritySyrup
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In my case, I had my Roku and mobile phone on my guest (2.4GHz) network, and there was a difficult-to-find option on my router Allow Guests to Access Each Other... and I had not enabled that option.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Guest WiFi networks always have that level of security configured. It's best to not have your home networked items on a guest network. Unless you regularly have multiple people in your home that you want to offer Internet, but don't want them on your personal network, I don't even recommend using a guest network. It's simply one more thing to maintain, and you have issues like this that cause problems you aren't expecting when using a guest network.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos