Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Residualfail
Reel Rookie

Roku app disconnecting from Roku device

I use a Roku Ultra 4660X and the Roku app as my remote.  The remote will randomly disconnect from the Roku device. 

If I unlock my phone after just a couple minutes the app may give me a "Finding last connected device" message. If I let it sit there it never finds the Roku device and just continues searching.  Sometimes it will return to the remote screen but I have to go into my device list at the top of the app then manually select my device to get it to reconnect.  Other times it won't connect from that screen either so I have to close the app itself and relaunch it before it will find my device again. 

It doesn't appear to matter if I'm using my phone or putting it down after I start my show.  It happens a handful of times over a two hour movie.

This has persisted between two phones, a couple of different factory resets on both my phones and the Roku.  I'm not sure what else I can do.  It's a little tedious to have to close the app and relaunch everytime I want to control the TV.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
iammrmax

Re: Roku app disconnecting from Roku device

Ditto.  Pretty annoying too.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@iammrmax

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Have you made sure that the Roku and mobile device are on the same wireless network?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Residualfail
Reel Rookie

Hello Danny,

Thank you for replying but I'm not sure you read my part thoroughly.  I stated that the issue is random and doesn't matter if start a show then play on my phone, or if I start the show and set the phone down.  If I unlock my device or just go back into the Roku app it will just be disconnected from my Roku and have trouble reconnecting.  I'm not able to reproduce it on demand.  The only way to work around it is to close the Roku app and relaunch it then manually reconnect to my roku.

As for my network, yes.  One router, and both my phone and Roku are connected to the same SSID.

RPMAKEITSO

I've been seeing the same annoying problem for a few months. Found an interesting "related solution" in the sidebar while reading this post and think it's going to fix it for me. I've wondered at times whether it could be a battery management issue but hadn't been able to find where to make the Roku app stay active in memory rather than timing out to save battery.  See if this helps: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/How-to-fix-mobile-app-disconnecting-from-Roku-device-o...

0 Kudos