Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xenoworker

Roku Remote app crashes after 2 seconds

Jump to solution

Hello, I downloaded the roku app on my iphone and opened it. It opens to a purple screen that says roku for about 2 seconds then closes. I can't get the app to open, tried reinstalling etc, please advise.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Remote app crashes after 2 seconds

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue.

We believe the issue is now resolved. Users who are having an issue with the Roku remote app crashing should check for the latest version 8.4.2 of the app.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@xenoworker 

It's working fine on my iPhone. I'm running app version 8.4.0.6

You can check the version via the App Store app.

Click on your icon/profile image at the top right.

Pull down to refresh.

If there is an update for the Roku app, download it.

If there is no update, scroll down until you see it under the Updated Recently section. You should see the version there. Note that although my app shows 8.4.0.6, the App Store listing is simply 8.4.0 but, as there are no other intermediate versions above 8.3.1, then if you see 8.4.0 then you likely have the current version.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
benny108
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue the last two days.

DBDukes- tried to follow your imputes- nothing happening. Roku app works on iOS 11 and up  and iPhone update is iOS 12.5.5.

Any other suggestions anyone?

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@benny108 @xenoworker 

I should have mentioned the iPhone on which I tested is running iOS 15.5 which is much newer than one mentioned. However, as you pointed out, it is supported several versions back, and that older version is still very much supported.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
SpeakingGoat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We have the same issue on android 7. It used to work but now the app immediately crashes on launch

0 Kudos
Fancygirl

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Roku app crashes after 2 seconds. It won’t stay open but when I go to home and close out other apps that are running in the back ground it is there. When I click on it, it repeats doing the same thing. My phone is update to 12.4 so this app should work. I had no problem before they messed with the app. 

benny108
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine will not stay open even if all other apps are closed.

What have you guys done solution wise @ Fancygirl and others?

I would really hate to have to be forced to buy a physical remote, which I will really not do. If roku can't solve these issues for its customers with some kind of customer support and help, then I feel like taking my business somewhere else, just out of principle.

Can anybody suggest services such as Roku, though with functioning customer help and support services? Thanks: )

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing an issue with using the Roku mobile app, can you please provide us with the following information:
-mobile device brand, model, and OS 
-Roku mobile app version and build
-what are the steps to reproduce the issue
-what troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
No2u
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

IOS 12.5.5

Roku latest update 8.4 a week ago 

Only after update to the current version the app does not open and blinks back to home screen on iPhone, or the Roku purple screen appears for 2 seconds and closes back to phone home screen. 

Thanks 👍🏼

CIPRO
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with the ROKU Mobile app crashing in about 2 seconds after clicking on the icon

i finally tricked the customer support system and talked to a live person

we did everything ie rebooted my old iPhone 6, deleted and restored the app.checked for any new updates beyond the recent 8.4.0, NOTHING helped fix the issue I suspect it might have to do with the last update as the problem started right after I did it 

Anyway the tech said they “didn’t have any other similar complaints” so let’s give them some!

call ROKU SUPPORT at: 408.556.9391 and press 2 as if you had a set up issue..this gets you to a live person and they will accept your call. Otherwise there is no phone support for technical issues on other than new installs

i am waiting for a call back from a senior tech as my ticket has been elevated to a higher level

in the meantime if any one discovers a fix post it here

good luck to all of us!

Chuck