Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WOliver
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

Thanks for getting back to me. My phone is an Iphone 14 ProMax Model number MQ8W3LL/A with IOS 16.4.1(a).  My ROKU device is model number 4630X Software version 12.0.0.4184.   I use bluetooth earphones, but they are streaming directly from the TV , not the Roku app.There is no set pattern to this. It has happened about 3 or 4 times in the last year, yet I use it every evening for a few hours at a time. It did appear the last time that the screen on my Iphone never dimmed and went to black as it usually does. I could still see the remote screen. When I was done watching the movie I went to pause and go back to the Netflix HomePage, but I saw the phone was completely dead, even though about 3 hours earlier it was at 100 percent. I don’t remember if the other times I was watching Netflix, but it is the service I watch the most.  Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @WOliver,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We'll go ahead and send this over to the team for investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ale24
Reel Rookie

Private listening is the only way I have used it recently. In less than two hours, even though I wasn’t playing anything, I noticed my phone was nearly dead. It showed in the battery setting that 94% was used by the app. Nothing else was using battery. I can’t use private listening and charge at the same time due to the headphone jack being the same as the charging jack. I love the fact that I can listen without having to keep turning the tv up. I just learned that the option existed. Then two hours later, dead phone. I wasn’t even playing a video. iPhone XR. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@ale24 wrote:

I can’t use private listening and charge at the same time due to the headphone jack being the same as the charging jack. 

Yeah, really stupid of Apple doing that. But there are some inexpensive ways around it. Here's a jack splitter on Amazon that is only $10 for a pack of two splitters. Of you only want one, this one is just $7. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
manc
Binge Watcher

Roku Android app causing excessive battery drain

Hi,

Recently I have noticed that my Samsung Galaxy S10+ (One UI 4.1 - Android v12) is draining its battery when using the Roku app (v9.3.0.1909385) with private listening, I have done various things to try and resolve this, all without success!

1. Factory reset my phone (especially for this one issue)
2. Factory reset Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X (12.0.0 build 4184-50)
3. Cleared cache & data then reinstalled Roku app
4. Issue persists on wife's Samsung Galaxy A50 also.
5. Factory reset Netgear WIFI AP (running out things to try)
6. Samsung Galaxy S7

I have been in contact with Roku support, but we are going round circles with them assuming at one point the issue was with the Roku remote :(, we are 1 week in now.

I absolutely love the private listening feature of the Roku streaming stick and use it everyday, having lost it for 2 weeks I am really missing it, so I would really appreciate any advise on what I am doing wrong and why this is occurring.

Screenshot_20230528-222350_AccuBattery.jpg

Thanks.

0 Kudos
manc
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Android app causing excessive battery drain

bump, any thoughts pls?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Android app causing excessive battery drain

Hi @manc,

Thank you for your effort to reach us and for sharing the details here.

We appreciate your feedback on our private listening feature and we're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with the Roku mobile app that causes your mobile device to drain the battery.

We are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team is working diligently to resolve the issue. Rest assured that we have sent all your information and concerns to our Roku team. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rick28

I'll add my 2 cents: My wife and I have iphone 13s and Airpod Pros. We discovered recently that we could use the ROKU app on our phones, and we each run the app, and use our airpods to listen. Both were fine at first, barely using any phone battery. But the other night her phone got hot and drained in a couple hours. Mine was fine: almost no battery use during the same period. However, the next night her phone was fine, and mine got hot, and drained quickly. Just to be clear, we are both running the app on our phones, connected to the same roku device so we can watch the same content. We leave the app on the remote control screen. We were both set for private listening. 

0 Kudos
Prism88

Yes same issue but with Android device. Kills battery and makes phone get hot.

0 Kudos
magpie6666
Reel Rookie

Iphone battery drains iOS 16 Roku App using bluetooth headphones

I've been using the App for ages/years and within the past month or so  my Iphone (12 pro) the battery life is draining very fast. I have to keep my phone charging whilst using my headphones/earbuds.

This is something new that I've never had a problem with. Please have a look at the current Roku app and advise.

thanks 

IOS BUGS.

0 Kudos