Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Passwords for seperate TVs on same network

Ok so I have 2 TVS in my household that have Roku on it. And the other person keeps connecting through the Roku app by using the remote and messing with my tv and because we are on the same network there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Can you guys please put a lock or a pin you have to type in before you can use the remote feature to connect to a specific tv thru the app? They constantly connect to my TV turn it up and down also turns it off and always making it go to the homescreen despite me telling them a hundred times and them claiming they are not, but still asks me about it. Im just about to sell my TV because I am tired of their childish antics. I've looked up everything and nothing u do helps with this issue. But they are 2 lazy to get their actual remote so all they use is the phone remote, it should just have another way around this somehow especially by now. Im sure I'm not the only one who goes thru this. 

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Remote Passwords for seperate TVs on same network

@REALTwiztyd1 wrote:

Ok so I have 2 TVS in my household that have Roku on it. And the other person keeps connecting through the Roku app by using the remote and messing with my tv and because we are on the same network there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Can you guys please put a lock or a pin you have to type in before you can use the remote feature to connect to a specific tv thru the app? They constantly connect to my TV turn it up and down also turns it off and always making it go to the homescreen despite me telling them a hundred times and them claiming they are not, but still asks me about it. Im just about to sell my TV because I am tired of their childish antics. I've looked up everything and nothing u do helps with this issue. But they are 2 lazy to get their actual remote so all they use is the phone remote, it should just have another way around this somehow especially by now. Im sure I'm not the only one who goes thru this. 

Thanks

Ironically there IS a function that is enabled by default that allows this:  Settings/System/Advanced system setting/Control by mobile apps=Default.

However, there is a bug (in OS9.4/10) in this control such that if you set=Disabled, the Roku app and any DIAL apps can still access and control the Roku, though Play On Roku-enabled apps cannot (it only works on third-party apps using Play on Roku to cast), and if set=Permissive, all apps can still access the Roku (it never asks permission).

You can contact Roku directly and give them feedback about the broken feature: 

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/roku tv/other/need more help?)

Otherwise, you'd either need to set AP/Client isolation (which would impact your ability to connect via phone apps), or enable/use the Guest SSID in your modem/router/gateway (either put your or their TV on it), or use other more sophisticated routing/access tools that your wireless modem/router/gateway may or may not have.

0 Kudos