Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dshirleyjr
Reel Rookie

Private listening stops when Roku app is minimized

Jump to solution

My private listening feature on my Roku app (Android Pixel 7 phone) works great as long as I leave the app open. In the past I could start private listening and still browse other apps (text, email, etc) and private listening continued in the background, just like you'd expect music to (eg. Spotify).

But in the last month, I think since the last Roku app upgrade, I now have to keep the Roku app open, can't browse any other apps....it no longer continues in the background....even if I just minimize it. 

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mnruge

Re: Private listening stops when Roku app is minimized

Jump to solution

I had the same issue and my phone was putting the app to sleep when closed. Under Settings I searched 'deep' and removed Roku from the Sleeping app list. Hope that works for you too!

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I could solve it by allowing the Roku app to send "notifications" via Android settings. Because this Roku banner in the notifications bar prevents the app from getting closed when minimizing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Dshirleyjr 

Maybe try clearing the cache and uninstalling the Roku mobile app from your phone.  Then Restart the phone and Reinstall the Roku mobile app.

I use the mobile app on an Android Moto Z with Android v7.1.1 and I am able to minimize (swipe close) the app and the private listening will continue. (both with wired and bluetooth headphones/earbuds).

There is a possibility there may be a bug in the app with either your particular phone or the Android version, though, so can't rule that out.

Normally, if I run into the intermittent issue with the mobile app, a clean install will remedy it. (I will usually clear all data and storage cache and do the phone restart before reinstalling).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
mnruge

Jump to solution

I had the same issue and my phone was putting the app to sleep when closed. Under Settings I searched 'deep' and removed Roku from the Sleeping app list. Hope that works for you too!

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I could solve it by allowing the Roku app to send "notifications" via Android settings. Because this Roku banner in the notifications bar prevents the app from getting closed when minimizing.

Dshirleyjr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Bingo! Thanks for this suggestion....setting Roku app notifications to 'on' was the trick....app remains on in the background now so I can surf other things while still watching in private listening mode. 

0 Kudos
grumpy381
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If alowing notifications from this circus act is the only way to keep private listening from stopping then screw it.  I will not have another invasion sheet show in my life. 

This toy has been an expensive disappointment with options not met and junk offerings

Basically, roku sucks.  

0 Kudos
grumpy381
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just by pure luck, I have an old phone I didn't trade in  because it was so old.  I turn on ruku private listening with that and get work done on my other devices 

roku sucks

0 Kudos