Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EGg
Channel Surfer

Re: Private listening not working via app

Not unless my iPhone has decided to switch sides

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@EGg  Well I posted 2 screenshots to prove how it works. The versions are the same in the App Store and on my phone 

EGg
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
Hanvan
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue with 8.2.0 on App Store. Started around a month ago. Connects for few seconds then stops. Lots of people having same issues based on app reviews. They haven’t sorted in over 2 months apparently. 

Frustratingly, I'm having the same failures with Roku's Private Listening feature.

I am able to initiate a Private Listening session between my Android 11 smartphone and my Roku Ultra.  The connection lasts for several (up to 10) seconds and then the audio is redirected back to the TV connected to the Roku Ultra.  This happens over and over again.

I have rebooted the phone and Roku Ultra after each test and still have the same problems.  Both the phone and the Roku operate on the same 5.0Ghz wi-fi network with a very strong and speedy connection.  I have even gone so far as to uninstall the Roku app on my phone, download earlier versions (several documented below) from APKMirror(.).com, successively install those and re-test.  Each result has been the same ... failure to maintain a Private Listening session for more than 10 seconds.

Details:

• Both the official Roku app and Roku Ultra are on same 5.0Ghz wi-fi network.
  • Roku Ultra device is model 4670X running software version 10.5.0, build 4208-46.
  • Tested Private Listening using the Roku Ultra and Roku app (versions 8.2.0.939193, 8.1.0.905869, 8.0.2.833404, 7.8.3.735316, 7.7.0.616860).
  • The tests are conducted with the sound directed to the phone speaker OR Bluetooth headphones with the same failures/results.

Many folks have mentioned that this problem seems to have arisen in the past month or so, and that may be.  However, the oldest Roku app version (7.7.0.616860) that I tested appears to have been released about a year ago and it also won’t maintain a Private Listening connection.  This makes me suspicious that more recent updates to the Roku app may not be the culprits in this mystery.

I hope this information proves useful in restoring this desirable feature.

Baldcat11

This must be a software defect with the current Roku firmware.   Private listing worked great until recently. 

No longer working on multiple different Roku  devices and models.  I have tried from 4 different android devices with no luck.   LG, Samsung and Pixel with the same result.   

Hanvan
Channel Surfer

I have checked on multiple devices too. It happened after they updated their app. So I think its a software issue. 

I've asked them on their socials too and they have no response. I don't understand why no one at Roku seems to acknowledge this issue. 

Just give us an update Roku please!

TripleG
Reel Rookie

I am have a private listening issue with the mobile app as well. It only began within the last month (April 2022). I wear hearing aids and private listening is essential for me to understand most broadcasts. I have updated the app and rebooted everything yet the problem persists. Roku Ultra 4800X Software 11.0.0 Build 4193-C2. iPhone 11 Plus running software version 15.4.1.  The sound keeps dropping and then may restart. No pattern, rhyme or reason. Please help!

TripleG
Reel Rookie

I was attributing my problem to the Roku Ultra and almost replace it but after coming across this site I decided to check other devices in my home. I experienced the same problem with the following devices as well. TCL model 55R625 Roku TV A109X Software 11.0.0 build 4193-88 AND Roku Premiere 3920X Software 11.0.0 build 4193-91. I even thought the problem might be with my hearing aids but the problem persisted with both Resound and Phonak devices. Not the hearing aids and not one specific device - - the problem HAS to be a software issue. Please fix!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-mobile device brand and model
-mobile app version
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator