Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doggone27

Private listening not working on ios app

New issue that just popped up tonight. When I turn on private listening through the digital remote in the ios app, no audio actually plays. It shows up as if it is on and working (icon on the screen and everything), but it does not actually work. Definitely connected to the right device, definitely not a headphones issue, and the internet connection is stable and fast. The app and all the tv's software are up to date. Specifically, it's an Element Roku TV (D805X). I've tried every single troubleshooting technique I can fathom, all to no avail. 

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Private listening not working on ios app

@doggone27

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue further for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-mobile device brand and model, and current OS
-Roku mobile app version
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass along the details to the appropriate Roku team to look into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rockotman
Reel Rookie

I recently had a similar issue, and posted here about it. 

i then figured it out… I had turned on my phone’s ExpressVPN app while away from home, and didn’t turn it off after returning home to the safety of my home network. 

I turned off the VPN app, and it started working as it did before the issue occurred. 

hope this helps. 

Rohan451

Well done.  I independently also  worked this out today too and posted about it for those having the same issue with ExpressVPN.  It started for me when I upgraded to iOS 15.7

Same solution - turn off ExpressVPN.  It would be nice though if there was a way to use the VPN while using private listening. It used to not be an issue till iOS 15.7 

0 Kudos
Josed

On my TCl Roku TV, you cannot have cable our other channel input connected to HDMI 1 or Hdmi2 ect. The headset icon on the mobile app will be shaded out with a red line through it. Only streaming apps will run through the remote app and then be played through you ear buds. If you have a red line through the headset icon on Roku mobile app. Then you must remove HDMI input for private listening. Sorry if this is a double post but I did not find this anywhere.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Josed

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos