Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Accio4598
Binge Watcher

Private listening has no audio

All the solutions I’ve been told to try don’t work 

Ever since I switched to and iPhone SE3 the private listening has been an issue 

It keeps disconnecting when I open apps. And now no audio plays at all when I select private listening, on my phone or on headphones 

i can’t use the remote feature for apple airplay either, it doesn’t ‘find’ my device 

I have the lates Roku 8.2 and iOS 15.4.1 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private listening has no audio

@Accio4598-

Your Roku version is 8.2?

Roku version 10.5 is the latest fully released version for supported Roku models, and version 11.0 is currently rolling out.

What model and model number Roku are you using?  Settings > System > About will show you, and you can verify your Roku software version as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@makaiguy  He’s talking about Roku Remote Control app version 8.2.0.4

@Accio4598 the Roku Remote Control app works perfectly fine. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 15.4. Your Roku and iPhone need to be on the same wireless network. Meaning both need to be on 2.4 or 5.0

0 Kudos
Accio4598
Binge Watcher

I’m able to connect and set up private listening, but no Audio plays 

Maybe I’m using the wrong settings any help would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Accio4598  No audio plays from what? Your phone? Bluetooth speakers? TV? A your phone on the same WiFi network? Have you restarted your phone and Roku? What are you trying to watch? How are you watching it? Do you live in the US? Have you restarted your modem and router? Please provide details. So everything worked fine with your previous iPhone? This isn’t a Roku issue by the way. Have you tried Bluetooth headphones? Earbuds? Bluetooth speaker? 

0 Kudos
Accio4598
Binge Watcher

I am on the same network for both devices! I never had this issue when I used my android phone so maybe there’s. Different setting on iOS that I don’t know of

Should they not already be on the same 2 or 5 frequency if they’re on the same network?

thanks

0 Kudos
Accio4598
Binge Watcher

Now private listening works but it keeps turning off when I open another app im very confused aha 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Accio4598  Please provide all the necessary information. In order for you to use private listen on your phone both your phone and Roku need to be on the same WiFi network. Meaning both on the 2.4 or both of the 5.0. There isn’t any special iPhone settings. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 15.4 and Roku Remote Control app 8.2.0.4. Works just fine. But you’re not answering all the questions I have asked nor have you given any details. What do you mean keeps turning off when you open another app? Another app on your phone or Roku? 

0 Kudos
Accio4598
Binge Watcher

I face either one of these problems 

1. Private listening is connected but completely mute from either my phone or Bluetooth earphones. everything is up to date software wise and I’m connected to the same network for both devices 

2. Sometimes it works, but keeps disconnecting when I open another app on my phone with sound (I never had this happen on my android so I’m assuming I can continue the same on iOS too)

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Accio4598  i’m trying to assist you but you’re not providing proper information. I am currently watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I opened up my Roku Remote Control app on my iPhone. I selected my Roku device I am watching. I pressed the private listening (headphone) button on the app. The sound from my Roku/TV went into my iPhone. I can switch to another app on my iPhone such as Facebook and still hear Netflix. I did not close out the Roku app on my phone . PIP is enabled on my iPhone also. Works just fine. Please try all the troubleshooting advice I gave you. Sounds to me like the problem is your phone in your Roku are not on the same Wi-Fi signal. Yes they can be connected to the same Wi-Fi but not connected to the same signal. Newer modems and routers produce two Wi-Fi signals. A 2.4 and a 5.0. Both your Roku and phone need to be on the same signal. Please read this link

https://support.roku.com/article/217478308

0 Kudos