Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nelsibrun

Official Roku Android App Question

Why can't I control my tv with the roku remote in the app? I should be able to control the volume and power just like my physical remote (3800R Streaming Stick).

The sidebar ad on the Roku home screen actually showed a version of the app that included those features...

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Official Roku Android App Question

Incorrect. Different devices offer different features. The app adjusts to those features. I have 6 Roku devices. 3 Sticks, 1 Ultra and 2 TV’s. The app does not have a volume control or a power feature for my sticks but it shows for my TV. I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3.1. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@nelsibrun 

@nelsibrun wrote:

... The sidebar ad on the Roku home screen actually showed a version of the app that included those features...

Any ideas?

I have a Roku Soundbar. The app controls the volume. I also have a Roku Streaming Stick+. The app does not control the volume. A family member has a Roku TV. The app controls the volume.

Here's the connecting of the dots: the volume control is available on Roku (or Roku branded) hardware that includes sound capabilities. A Roku TV has built-in speakers, so the app controls sound. A Roku Streambar is a speaker with built-in Roku, so the app controls the sound. A Roku stick doesn't have speakers, and the app doesn't control the sound.

A TV that is not a Roku TV is, well, not a Roku TV. Roku doesn't include volume capability in the app for one other critical reason. The physical remotes have IR capability to control volume on TVs, so they control volume on TVs. Phones don't, so they don't.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  Well said 

0 Kudos