Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agarcia94
Reel Rookie

Mobile app not connecting to Roku device

I’ve been using Roku for a few years now with minimal issues. Just recently, my devices (streaming stick+) won’t connect to my mobile app. Our Roku TV it can find just fine. I have went through every step they list in their “Get help?” link at the bottom, and no luck. Both connected to the same network, network is up and running fine, did a restart through the settings on Roku and closed all the way out of the mobile app (I’d prefer not to unplug the stick if I don’t have to since the tv is mounted up on our wall), made sure the “connect with device” is selected on Roku (set to default), and even tried to manually connect using the IP with no success. I’m at my whits end here. Is it me, or is it Roku?🤦🏻‍♀️

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Mobile app not connecting to Roku device

@agarcia94 

A few different things to try when mobile app doesn't see/connect to Roku device.

1. From within Roku device, try resetting the network connection. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  This should reestablish a new connection between your Roku device and your Router.

2. Restart/reboot your Router, your Roku, and your Mobile device that has the remote app.  (Do a power-cycle of all devices by turning all devices off, then back on).

3. Try using another free mobile remote app to see if Roku issue. (Try using Romote by William Seeman in the Play Store if using Android.  This one is open source, free, with no ads).

4. If another remote app works successfully, then remove the Roku mobile app from your mobile device, again restart/power-cycle the mobile device, and then try re-installing the Roku mobile app back to your mobile device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

makaiguy

@agarcia94-

Your mobile app cannot connect to your Roku if the Roku is not connected to the same home network as your phone.

There are a couple router setting issues that can prevent your Roku from establishing wifi connections. And to make matters worse, both of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xfinity, Cox, and ATT so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    A) Some recent router updates have turned off the router's use of the 2.4 GHz band.  Single-wifi-band Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620), are lower end units that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have a 2.4 GHz only Roku model and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) All Rokus support channels 1-11 in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band wifi radios can connect to the 5 GHz wifi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. If your router supports 5 GHz channels outside these two ranges make sure your router is set to use a channel with these ranges and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside these ranges.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power, or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Irene33
Channel Surfer

No network connection - How to reset the connection without the app or remote

How do I follow the below directions (in red) for resetting the network connect if my remote and the app won't work?

I have a similar problem to the poster, although even my TV won't connect. Been using Roku for years and everything was fine. Suddenly the home screen is frozen and you can't click on any apps. This all started when I tried to connect to the NBC app using my credentials from my cable subscription with  Optimum. I'm not sure if that is related.  Oddly, it wouldn't let me watch that channel even after inputting the Optimum user name and pw, but it did put me into a 15 minute trial of MSNBC, which I could not leave until it was completed, and then it tried to play more videos, until I powered down the Roku and the TV. After that, my Roku home screen was frozen and all these problems began.  

I tried using the phone remote, and it said it can't find a device on the network.

I wanted to make sure the stick is on the same network as the phone, but can't because the remote won't work (it does have juice as I just replaced the batteries and a light goes on when I try to pair it) so I have no way to navigate per the instructions below.

I tried a factory reset of the stick (and powering down the modem, router, cell phone, stick) to no avail. I did get the screen on the TV prompting me to pair my remote, but the green light on the remote is going on and off slowly while I have the pairing button pressed -- and it never pairs. The prompt on the TV screen  remains at "Pair your remote." 

Any an all advice would be appreciated. With all the variables that could be cause of this and the difficult technical issues being discussed here in related posts, it's maddening!

1. From within Roku device, try resetting the network connection. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  This should reestablish a new connection between your Roku device and your Router.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: No network connection - How to reset the connection without the app or remote

@Irene33 wrote:

How do I follow the below directions (in red) for resetting the network connect if my remote and the app won't work?...

If your Roku device isn't connected to a network, you must use a remote to connect it to a network. Must means exactly that: must.

If your remote isn't working, you need another remote. You have a stick, so you need a Roku Voice Remote. They're $20. You can buy them at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and other retailers. The more expensive ($30) Voice Remote Pro will work as well. You can also buy Voice Remotes (both versions) online.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Irene33
Channel Surfer

Re: No network connection - How to reset the connection without the app or remote

Thanks, I will try that.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Irene33-

Once you do a Factory reset you need to set your Roku up from scratch.  Your first step is to get your remote linked to the Roku so that you can subsequently use the remote for the rest of the setup.

The Roku is only receptive to a pairing request from the remote for a fairly short period of time after it first boots up (I don't know how long, maybe a minute or two), so try this:

• Unplug the Roku's power plug.
  • Remove the batteries from the remote.
  • Bring the remote near to the Roku - across the room may not be near enough.
  • Plug the Roku's power plug back in.
  • When the Roku boots up and the tv screen shows the prompt to link the remote, put a known fresh set of batteries into the remote.
  • The indicator light on the remote should start to blink, if not press and hold the remote's link button for 5 seconds to start the blink.
  • The tv should give you an indication that linking is in progress.  Allow this operation to complete.
  • If the link is successful you can proceed with the rest of the setup.

If you are unable to then establish the wifi connection to your network, restart your router (even if everything else connects okay) then try again when the router comes back up.

If it still won't connect, see this post from earlier in this thread: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/Mobile-app-not-connecting-to-Roku-device/m-p/776876/hi.... Ignore the post title and first sentence references to the Roku app -- everything else in there refers to getting your Roku connected to your network.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
InsigniaGuy
Reel Rookie

Good luck.  I have the exact same maddening problem.  The physical remote works fine. The app is awful.  It can't "find" my Roku device, so I can't use the app virtual remote. Yes, I've tried everything, reboots, signing in to the app again, confirming all connections.  The app is horrible 

agarcia94
Reel Rookie

No luck with any of the above. I’m going to chalk it up to Roku put out some sort of update that booted all old streaming sticks from their app (I have 2 streaming stick+’s that aren’t working, but my new Roku TV we purchased for Christmas pairs just fine).

Irene33
Channel Surfer

This worked! I had to purchase a new remote. It was able to pair with the Roku. 

Unfortunately the Roku phone app still doesn’t work. It can’t find the device, even though it’s using the same network. I wonder if I made it so one device can’t detect another device on the network. I vaguely remember this is what someone recommended a while back when I set up my PepWave  router, because it helps prevent “side attacks” where hackers get into one device and then find their way into others. I will have to figure out how to get into my router admin panel which is another issue I have.

But at least now the Roku is set up with the remote. Thank you!

0 Kudos