Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericjak
Reel Rookie

Re: IPhone 14 Pro Private listening crashes Roku app

Private listening is an essential feature for me. I use it all the time.

Once I upgraded to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, I started experiencing this behavior where the Roku app immediately crashes when I try to enable private listening. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Roku app, which did not help.

Since it is so important to me, I purchased a new Roku Express 4K+, which of course upgraded to the latest firmware during installation. It still crashes immediately upon trying to use private listening.

So:

• Brand new Roku device running latest firmware
  • Apple's latest iPhone model running Apple's latest iOS version (16.3)
  • Latest Roku app

and an advertised Roku feature just does not work at all.

Hard to believe nobody at Roku seems to care. I guess I will be returning this new Roku and shopping for another streaming player manufacturer.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi Community Users,

Thanks for your post.

We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the private listening feature on Roku mobile app. Our support team is now aware of the issue and investigating it further. As we wait for feedback from the support team, it might be beneficial to try this solution suggested in a related topic in order to see if it resolves the issue.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Remington99
Streaming Star

@RokuNimfa-C  the solution you suggested dates back to May 2022.  The issue currently being experienced is clearly centered around iOS 16.x, and iOS 16.x did not exist in May of 2022 (at least not in public general release).  In post after post, people who purchased new iPhone 14s (which come pre-installed with iOS 16) or people with existing iPhone 12s and 13s who upgraded to iOS 16 immediately started experiencing the problem.

I tried the solution link you suggested and it did not work.  The app crashes as soon as you go into private mode.  The problem is not related to notifications, it is related to iOS 16.

I have tried everything suggested on this forum, including full device backup and restore, full app delete (including cached data) and restore, etc.  I have contacted Apple Support and they spent a few hours and have concluded the fault lies with the Roku App.

In short I have spent many many hours on this.  May I respectfully suggest that instead of sending Roku users on wild goose chases that consume a lot of time and lead nowhere, that Roku solves the iOS 16 problem.

ericjak
Reel Rookie

Just a bit more information for the support team which is (hopefully) looking into this:

Prior to upgrading to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, I was using an iPhone 11 Pro. I'm 99% sure that I had used the private listening feature on that iPhone 11 Pro AFTER upgrading to iOS 16. Another user commented that iPhone 12 and 13 users experienced the problem upon upgrading to iOS 16.

So maybe the problem is a combination of iOS 16 on iPhones 12 and later?? Might be a clue.

Remington99
Streaming Star

@ericjak I had been using the private listening function on my iPhone 12 Pro for several years.  I got a new iPhone 14 Pro which of course meant I was now using iOS 16 on the new phone (it ships with that).  The Roku app would not discover Roku devices on my network and private listening crashed the app.  As part of the troubleshooting process, I then upgraded my iPhone 12 to iOS 16 and the Roku App stopped working.  So with my iPhone 12, it was the same phone, same home network, and same Roku devices that had worked for years.  The only change was iOS 16.  I am 100% certain this is iOS 16 related.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @CallieD

Thanks for the input.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Mcnasty
Channel Surfer

Karla,

The information you are requesting has been provided like 3 times throughout this thread. I also provided the same exact information directly to a Roku support rep named Sri like 3 weeks ago who also said he would take that information to the appropriate Roku team and get back to me (newsflash: he never has responded to me). 

I feel like by now the appropriate Roku team should be well aware of this issue. It doesn't have anything to do with the specific Roku device model, Serial number or Tracker ID or whatever else. It is a problem with the latest version of your app. Just read all the posts by the dozens of people who have posted in this thread and you will have all the information that the "appropriate Roku team" needs.

Remington99
Streaming Star

@RokuKarla I had the same experience as @Mcnasty .  I have already provided all this information and more to Roku support.  I tried to provide as much trouble shooting information as I could including video of the problems that I was encountering.  That was 5 weeks ago and they've ghosted me since.  I have requested e-mail updates and have not received a response.

The Roku App doesn't support iOS 16.  It needs to be fixed, or Roku needs to announce that they no longer intend to support iPhones.  Silence from Roku support and engineering is not a solution to this problem.

rcooper80

Just wanted to chime in as another iPhone 14 Pro Max user with this issue.

Upgraded from a 12 mini that worked fine with the Roku app. Tried using private listening for the first time last night on the 14 Pro Max and the app immediately crashes and closes out. Deleted the app and reinstalled several times but no change.

My 12 mini was running iOS 16 as well and worked just fine. Seems to be a 14 Pro issue for some reason.

Oh and also, as other stated, for some reason I now have to manually enter the IP address of my tv to connect to it. The app can't just automatically find it which is weird.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @rcooper80

Welcome to Roku Community. 

We're sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with the Roku mobile app, especially when using the Private listening feature. To better assist you, please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Brand, model, and current OS that the mobile device is running
  • The version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos