Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remington99
Streaming Star

Re: Private listening problem

@RokuMary-F Apple doesn't allow a sub-sub release number, or at the very least they do not display a sub-sub number..  They allow for major version, minor version, and 1 sub-release number.  So in other words, they would allow 8.11.1 but they do not allow 8.11.1.1.

If you want us to wait till we see release 8.11.1.1 then we will be waiting for a very long time as it will never appear.

Remington99
Streaming Star

I downloaded 8.11.1 for iOS for my iPhone 14 Pro Max.  Even though the release numbers are not the same, I'm going to assume that this is the version 8.11.1.1 that  @RokuMary-F was referencing.  Unfortunately it did not resolve either of the problems.  Network discovery does not work and private listening still crashes the app.

Imdavidferreira
Channel Surfer

8.11.1 isn’t what she was referring to, that was released before @RokuDanny-R ’s comment. The fact the update hasn’t been pushed yet when they’re talked of this fantasy update makes it clear it did not exist. @RokuMary-F has dodged question after question and they keep deflecting to an update that couldn’t possibly exist within apples numbering scheme as you pointed out. Im extremely frustrated and disheartened about this. First the app just stops working almost entirely bc of this bug then they can’t even properly communicate with their customers about it. An absolute joke.

dlee1017
Channel Surfer

I just updated the app which is now on version 9.0.0 and it STILL CRASHES. Ugh!   What is the deal here, Roku people??  Why can't this issue be resolved?!? I've already given Mary & Danny my information that was requested & it didn't help one bit. So irritating especially when I have a brand new iphone 14 pro max! 

dlee1017
Channel Surfer

I just deleted the app & redownload it. Now it won't even locate my Roku device on my network & I had to manually connect it. Plus the private listening still makes it crash. This app has gone to absolute trash. And not a single reply from Mary or Danny since last week.  

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @dlee1017

Thank you for the post!

There could be several reasons why private listening on your Roku device is crashing. Here are a few possible explanations:

• Software issues: If your Roku software is outdated or there are bugs in the system, it can cause private listening to crash. Make sure that your Roku device is running the latest software version and update it if necessary.
  • Connection problems: Private listening requires a stable and strong Wi-Fi connection between your Roku device and the device you are using to listen. If there are issues with your Wi-Fi network, it can cause private listening to crash.
  • Interference: If there are other devices or appliances in your home that are causing interference with your Wi-Fi network, it can cause private listening to crash. Try moving your Roku device and the device you are using to listen to a different location to avoid interference.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Remington99
Streaming Star

Hi @RokuLianna, when you read the posts in this thread you will see that none of (1) software, (2) connection problems, or (3) interference are the problems.   The group has demonstrated in these 9 pages of conversation that the app worked prior to upgrading to iOS 16.  That means that the software, connection, and interference issues were not a problem before and are not a problem now.

The actual problem is that the Roku App does not work on iOS16.  Most of us have posted all details requested here in this thread and many of us have also created support calls directly with Roku.

Providing "trite fluffy" answers to our well researched troubleshooting is not a helpful thing for you to do.  You would be best to read all the threads so you understand the depth of the problem.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting regarding the issue you are still experiencing regarding the private listening feature crashing the Roku mobile app on your iPhone.

Please be aware that a recent version of the Roku mobile app has just been released and we would recommend updating the app. After updating the mobile app, please let us know if you are still experiencing an issue with private listening.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • mobile device brand, model and OS version
  • Roku mobile app version
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JAlex10
Reel Rookie

Hello,

I have just downloaded the latest app release and I’m still experiencing the same issue. The app crashes as soon as I activate private listening.

Roku sharp model LC-55LBU591C

software version 11.5.0 build 4312-38

Roku mobile app 9.0.0.9

BevStL
Reel Rookie

So given the multitude of comments here and the fact that this occurs on all platforms with the new app it would be nice to stop seeing the same automated response.   Your directions for “settings” are not doable as the menu choices so clearly spelled out are not there.  Also, it’s not possible to state what’s shows or stations because the app completely crashes in catastrophic failure.  Please stop with the same reply for weeks now and understand this is not a quirky event but a higher level loss of functionality with your product,