Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remington99
Streaming Star

IPhone 14 Pro Private listening crashes Roku app

I am having the same issue.  I had an iPhone 12 and all was well.  I could connect to my two Roku devices and private listening worked well. 

I upgraded to an iPhone 14 and (a) I could no longer discover devices, and (b) private listening crashes the app.

Yes I have:

1. Ensured the Roku devices are up-to-date
  2. Rebooted all known devices, including the Roku streaming sticks
  3. Deleted and re-installed the Roku app
  4. Deleted the app, did a hard-reboot on the phone, re-installed the app
  5. Insured that my iPhone and the Roku devices are on the same network (note: my network topology has not changed)
  6. Insured that my network uses a private IP range (note: my network topology has not changed)
  7. Repeated the word "beetlejuice" three times 😁

Step #4 was interesting, and for a moment I thought it might work because when I started the app, I got the "intro" screens as if I was a new user (this did not happen with step #3)

I have been unable to get in touch with Roku Support.  How does one do that?  Whenever I get to the contact page on the support website, the chat and phone options are greyed out.

I have a theory about what is happening.  When you get a new iPhone, it allows you to transfer the contents of your old phone to your new phone.  Each app of course has a cache or small database it keeps on the phone in order to operate.  My guess is that the Roku app is not behaving well when this database gets transferred.  I believe this is an issue because, even with step #4, when I got back into the app, it magically remembered my Roku account login e-mail address.  If the app was correctly deleting it's cache when the app was deleted, it could not possibly remember my account name.

It seems clear this is either an issue with iOS 16 or with transferring to a phone running iOS 16 or both.  Roku support needs to respond to this.

221 REPLIES 221
Remington99
Streaming Star

Re: IPhone 14 Pro Private listening crashes Roku app

I did a backup/restore and this did not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Gettheskinny
Reel Rookie

I had done a backup/restore of my phone within a week of purchasing my new phone--for a different issue. I discovered the Roku problem after that, but since I had already done a backup and restore for something else, I'm pretty sure that particular solution won't work for me either.

0 Kudos
Remington99
Streaming Star

I had an Apple rep walk through fully deleting the app, and a backup/restore and it still does not work.  Apple has concluded that the Roku App does not fully support iOS 16 and it is "up to the vendor of the app" to fix it.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • brand, model and current OS that the mobile device is running
  • version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
V1User
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply @RokuDanny-R

IMG_5172.jpg

My Roku devices and iPhone 8 Roku app were working fine until I upgraded to iPhone 14.

Now my iPhone app no longer discovers devices on my network and if added manually, the app immediately crashes when I click on the private listening button.

Something is definitely awry.  I changed nothing but the iPhone in my setup.

UPDATE: my iPhone 8 still works without issue although I'm not using it for making calls 😉

UPDATE: I updated the iPhone 14 to iOS 6.2 and noticed no improvements BUT I now see the following error in the Roku app every time I browse for devices:

IMG_5185.PNG

I've also confirmed that both the iPhone 14 and Roku TV are on the 192.168.86.x network.

THEN, when I attempt to connect manually, the app suggests I'm on a completely different network:

IMG_5186.PNG

0 Kudos
vatking-3

Re: IPhone 13 Private listening crashes Roku app

• Roku device model: TCL Model 50S423
  • serial number: YN00NN210966
  • device ID: J3988N210966
  • Software OS/version: 11.5.0 • build • 4312-30
  • Apple iPhone
  • iPhone 13
  • iOS 16.1
  • version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using - where would I find this info?
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing - When the headphone icon is clicked or by clicking  Private Listening in Settings.
  • The error message blinks on and the app crashes before the message can be read.
  • Has been working fine since I got the phone a few months ago.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: IPhone 13 Private listening crashes Roku app

@V1User @vatking-3

Thanks for the posts and providing us with the requested information.

I have passed along your concern and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I agree. Same boat. Just did a full restore which may or may not have caused this. Cannot imagine another backup/restore being the only solution rather than a company just fixing their app for a problem they had just a year ago. There’s no way I’m implementing that drastic of a fix for a “maybe” solution. There’s also no way I’m recommending Roku to my customers, family, or friends anymore. 

noahphex
Channel Surfer

Experiencing the same issue on my wife’s iPhone Pro Max running 16.2 and latest Roku app. The Roku is a 3810X with 11.5.0.4312. 

If she activates private listening it crashes the Roku app immediately. Same with tapping  on the headphone icon.

I have the exact same model iPhone and app and it works for me. 

We’ve tried powering off and on the Roku, the phone, resetting the Wi-Fi on the iPhone, reinstalling the Roku app, deleting the Roku cache, and string the Roku audio to Stereo. No luck! 

0 Kudos