Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JLD_sail

How to fix Roku mobile app that keeps disconnecting from device

I’ve never had this issue before but now my Roku app keeps on disconnecting from my Roku and even if they are on the same network, I cannot get it to reconnect to my device. This renders my Roku useless as I no longer have a remote. I have tried everything from uninstalling the app and reinstalling it to resetting my Roku to resetting my phone and nothing seems to work. I have an iPhone 11 and use the latest version of iOS. I’ve also tried connecting manually with the IP address of my device but I keep getting the message that there are no devices at that address. Does anyone have a solution to this?

13 REPLIES 13
Tdiz21

Re: How to fix Roku mobile app that keeps disconnecting from device

I’m having the same issue and can’t do a full set or I’ll lose access to my spectrum app so trying to avoid that but looks like it doesn’t work anyways. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Tdiz21 wrote:

I’m having the same issue and can’t do a full set or I’ll lose access to my spectrum app so trying to avoid that but looks like it doesn’t work anyways. 

You will not lose your Spectrum app from doing a factory reset (apps are associated with accounts, not devices).

You will only lose your Spectrum app if you manually remove it (highlight app, press Options (*), then Remove)  <--- Dont do this!

Shek
Reel Rookie

What is your software version? I'm on 10.0.0 build 4209-80, and that update came today, apparently. However, I must have had a similar version update earlier issue, just started earlier this week - Sunday night, I think. I've been having the same problem all week. Then it started on my other roku tv today. Can't manually connect with the IP address, can't detect or wake up the TV. YouTube can't cast to the TV without manual connection usi g a code, but that might not require network connection.

a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

Perhaps your issue is related to mine.  I wonder whether a recent Android 11 update broke the app.

Roku app on Pixel 3a+ suddenly can't see my Roku 2100 XDS

0 Kudos
a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

This seems to be the culprit:

https://www.sammyfans.com/2021/04/14/android-11-restricts-samsung-smart-view-to-connect-with-chromec...

"The latest privacy policy of Android 11 restricts Chromecast connection through the Samsung Smart View application."

0 Kudos
blitzkriega
Reel Rookie

one thing i can tell you is roku does NOT have any good solution for this issue— the menial responses and roundabout troubleshooting their agents provide is a joke- my solution was ditch roku and get apple tv

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

A multiplatform streaming strategy is a good one - just make sure you keep the Rokus around and updated, that way when an app/service is only available on Roku, or works better on Roku, its there for you.  

The idea is you use the platform with the best app/experience for you, whether its Roku, Apple, FireTV, Android TV, etc.

0 Kudos
tkjross

I'm having the same problem. The Roku app can't see my Roku-Ultra. I can't connect manually either. This very frustrating because there are curtain channels that you have cast to the Roku but now can't. It keeps telling me to make sure both my phone and Roku-Ultra is on the same network and they are. Roku needs to fix this otherwise they are loser a lot of customers. My wife can't connect her Iphone with Airplay either.

a__l__a__n
Binge Watcher

Interesting.  My Android 7 phone connects to the Roku just fine using the latest Roku app.  And until recently my Android 11 phone did also.  Something changed around the beginning of July that broke Android 11 (and based on your report, also the iPhone).  But did not break Android 7.  Very puzzling.

You might try an older Android phone to see if you can connect the Roku app, and also check casting from YouTube.  Not a great workaround but maybe worth a try.

0 Kudos