Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I undo “forget device” in the Roku app?

I selected “forget this device” in my Roku remote app and I can’t figure out how to undo that. I did it in the first place because I was having trouble connecting when I previously had no problem. It won’t let me connect manually either but my IP address is typed correctly 

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: How do I undo “forget device” in the Roku app?

Hi @ExuberantHippie

Thanks for reaching out to Roku Community. 

In this case, you will need to re-pair the remote app to your Roku device. If your Roku device is missing from the discovery screen, check that your phone or tablet is configured properly.

• Try to uninstall and re-install the Roku mobile app. 
  • Ensure your phone or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku device.
  • Are you using an Apple device? Is your Apple device permitted to access other devices over Wi-Fi? If you have an iPhone or iPad and it is running iOS 14 or higher, you must grant "Local Network" access to allow the Roku mobile app to see and connect with your Roku device.
  • Is your mobile device connected to a VPN? Some VPN applications route all traffic through the virtual network causing your Roku device to not be visible.

If needed to help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to connect the Roku mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi

This should resolve the issue, but keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I just tested this out on mine.  I told it to forget the TCL Roku TV in the bedroom.  On the next scan for devices, which it seems to do every few seconds, the TCL was located and I was given the ability to connect to it again.

This was with the android Roku app version 8.20.2.1535915 on a Galaxy A42 5G.

To be found, the Roku needs to be connected to the network.  If network problems were what prompted you to "forget" that Roku in the first place, you'll need to get the net connection reestablished before the app can find it.  IP numbers are assigned by the router, not intrinsic to the Roku.  If it's not connected on the network it doesn't have an IP to connect to.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
janiss

Okay, but what if the TV doesn't show up at all anymore? How do I make the TV show up and pair back to the app? I've tried uninstalling the app several times and it doesn't work. I know it's connected to the same network, so what can I do to fix this problem? I don't know how to make it work.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@janiss it still sounds like a network issue. The Roku app has some restrictions/requirements for it to discover your devices. First, your home network must be using a private IP address range. Usually that's not an issue with a home network. But make sure the IP addresses being used start with 192.168.x.x. In most home networks the third octet (the first x in my example) will be either 0 (zero) or 1 (one). The final octet is unique to the device connected to the network. Just make sure those first two octets match.

The next thing is a setting in your router (or whatever is providing your WiFi access). It's usually under the security settings, and if it's enabled it will block all WiFi connected devices from seeing anything else on your network. Guest WiFi accounts virtually always have this turned on, and it's a good feature on a guest network. But if the app on your phone (connected via WiFi) is on such a network, you'll never be able to connect to the Roku device. 

Some people had reported problems with the app seeing a Roku if one is using 2.4 GHz and the other is using 5 GHz. I haven't had any problems with that, and my Roku devices are all a mix of 2.4 and 5 GHz, as well as a couple of wired connections. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos