Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jco204

Hisense TV won't connect to mobile app

I just purchased a Hisense Roku TV. How do I get it to appear under "devices" on the Roku App, so that I can use my phone instead of the remote?  My Roku sticks appear on the Roku app but not the TV. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and that did not work. The TV is connected to my wifi and is listed under my "linked devices" on my roku.com account.

10 REPLIES 10
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hisense TV won't connect to mobile app

For the app to work, you need to ensure there's no security setting enabled on your router that blocks wireless devices from seeing each other or other devices on your network.

Your home network also must be using what are designated as private IP addresses, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you've modified the settings yourself, or perhaps your ISP is controlling your internal network to use a different IP address range. As long as your IP address uses 192.168.x.x (as almost all consumer routers do) you should be fine.

But if you're using a wireless connection that is labeled as "guest", then the security setting I mentioned is most assuredly turned on. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
rebelgirl21
Reel Rookie

@jco204 

We got ours to work finally! We tried all of the suggestions but none worked.I reset the router itself by unplugging it for 10-12 seconds and plugging it back in. And then BOOM, the devices showed up once my router finished powering on! The IP addresses of all our TVs reset as well. 

Sidenote: We can all use our own mobile devices to access the roku app for our own tv even though it's on one acct.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@rebelgirl21 wrote:

Sidenote: We can all use our own mobile devices to access the roku app for our own tv even though it's on one acct.

The app does not require any access to the user account. It simply sees any Roku on the same network, and unless access is blocked on the device any Roku can be controlled. 

Dan

rebelgirl21
Reel Rookie

@atc98092 

That is good to know!!! Thank you. 

0 Kudos
AnnasChaudhary
Reel Rookie

Our Hisense TV was working fine with the Roku TV app, for the first week or so. Now it doesn’t connect. I have tried, resetting the modem, deleting and installing the Roku app again & connecting it manually using the IP address. It still doesn’t connect, it shows in the devices list but does not connect. What can I do ?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@AnnasChaudhary Look in the Roku settings menu under Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps, and see if that setting was accidentally changed to Disabled. If the app sees the Roku device but can't connect, this is the first thing to check. You might also check the setting directly above it, labeled Device Connect, and if it's not enabled try changing that one as well. I don't think that second one is required for the app to work, but I could be wrong. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AnnasChaudhary
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the reply. I tried both and it still doesn’t connect.

I was able to get my mom’s to work for a few days at a time by resetting the TV. Not to factory default, but shutting it down and rebooting it. When you power down you’re putting it in standby, not turning it off. 

0 Kudos
Briman62

Re: Hisense TV won't connect to mobile remote control app

Had problem where remote control app on phone would not recognize TV and updates would not do latest update. I tried unplugging TV, restarting modem, uninstalling remote control app and reinstalling app. It still wouldn't recognize TV. Went to the network connection on TV, even though every thing looked right and tv worked, I reset the TV connection on TV. SNAP ! Remote control app recognize TV, ROKU updates updated and seems like Roku on TV is a little faster. Hope this helps anyone with similar problem. Brian

0 Kudos