Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jarehen
Reel Rookie

Can’t connect to my Roku from the Roku app

I have a Roku streaming stick 4K and no matter what things I try from the online help I can’t connect to my Roku from the app and I can’t connect to the AirPlay either. Can anyone help? I have tried to reset the Roku, I have turned the power off and on, I have tried manually connecting and I have even tried to sync up the app to the powering of the roku. Nothing is working. I will supply the serial number of I can get some actual help. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect to my Roku from the Roku app

@Jarehen 

You may know much of this already, but most home networks have wireless connections on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Depending on setup, those can be entirely different networks. And, some have a guest network, meaning three possible networks.

If for some reason your Roku device is on one network, and the mobile device is on another, they may not see each other.

A quick way to check your Roku's network is to go to Settings > Network > About. If the channel is a low number (1, 6, 11, etc), it's on your 2.4 GHz network. If it's higher, it's 5 GHz. Compare that to what your phone is on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jarehen
Reel Rookie

I have seen people mention that before. The numbers you speak of are they the 3rd of the sequence? Because both of my phone and the Roku are on a 10.41.x.xx line for the wireless IP

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Jarehen 

No, this is nothing to do with the IP address of the device.

Go to the page on the Roku device that I suggested and you'll see the channel on which the Roku is connected. How to check on your phone depends on your phone.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jarehen
Reel Rookie

After checking they are on the same Wi-Fi and it is a 5GHz connection. I don’t know why they won’t connect to one another. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Jarehen 

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) or phone model/iOS version or Roku Mobile app version.

1) You mentioned you "cant connect to the Airplay either" - have you tested both AirPlay-casting (cast icon from an app) and Airplay-mirroring (Control Center mirroring) and seeing if the device shows up for either?

2) Restart/reboot your phone & Roku and modem/router/gateway - try again

3) Switch the Roku and/or the phone to the 2.4Ghz SSID - try again

4) Verify "AP Isolation" or "Client Isolation" is disabled (if it exists) in your modem/router/gateway settings - try again

0 Kudos