Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theanykey
Channel Surfer

Re: App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Jump to solution

@AvengerJFB 

Got lucky?

I have five devices to test this with. How many do you have?

If you want to completely derail this thread, go for it, but you're not contributing toward solving the issue. 

0 Kudos
AvengerJFB
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Take your attitude elsewhere please.

Most people who have had success are running older Android versions, but not all of them so it's not that.

I tried on my Honor 10 from 3 years ago and on my new phone, both with the same results (2240x1080). It doesn't work.

The last time this app worked was on my LG G5 which was 2560×1440. The LG G6 of my brother in law  right this minute DOES work, it is 1440 x 2880 pixels. He is on Android 10.

I believe the app is made to work correctly in 1440 and does NOT support 1080 at all. If it does, you got lucky, as I've mentioned. I'm trying to connect to the same TV, so it's 100% not the TV that's the issue.

Hope you enjoyed this derailing.

0 Kudos
AnotherPlanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I dug out my old LG v20 and factory reset it. It's on android 8.0 with no ability to upgrade, but it runs the Roku app. Expert Settings throws the same error. I also tried a couple dozen different DPIs, and thought what the heck, different font sizes and fonts to boot. And yes, restarted the app each time. A few phone reboots too, but those get tedious. Nothing fixes it for my meager test environment. 

AvengerJFB
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Then it definitely has nothing to do with display size. Quick check shows the LG v20 is 2560x1440 also.

At this point the dev team will have to check whats the issue because there is no underlying thread, no combo comes out and all kinds of people have issues with all kinds of OSes and we can't even say "LG phones work". Almost nothing works correctly.

I will be using my brother in law's LG G6 ThinQ to calibrate the TV and be done with it for it's natural life, but I'd still enjoy Roku addressing this issue because I have no plans to migrate off of Roku for TVs in the future because everything else is inferior to me. I like my TCL TV.
AnotherPlanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm aware of the aspect ratio. Like I said, tried a lot of DPIs. Good luck with the LG. 

0 Kudos
Ken1966
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model 75Q825

Serial X00300V3YRRU

DEVICE ID S055Y033YRRU

SOFTWARE 10.5.0 BUILD 4210-88

For more than a year, the ROKU app on my Android phone crashes EVERY TIME I attempt to access EXPERT PICTURE SETTINGS. They were accessible when I first bought the TV but became inaccessible with an update over a year ago.

Thank you, Danny, for your attention to this matter.

0 Kudos
AnotherPlanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm not really sure what else to do. I've tried everything. I finally gave up and ordered a new TV without Roku. I'll have to give this one to someone that doesn't care to customize the picture settings. I feel bad for anyone buying this based on how good the initial reviews were so all I can do is leave reviews on major store sites warning people that this TV is not for anyone who wants to customize their viewing experience. I don't know many tech influencers, but I'm friendly with a couple that I can ask to spread the word a little. Hopefully things change because this was a great thrifty tv before the app broke. 

bmoski9

Jump to solution

Same issue. TCL R635 2020 mini led. Samsung S10e. Android 12. Have tried with my other phones too. Nope. Definitely an issue with the app on Android. Have not tried an iphone yet as I do not have access to one.

JimmyR
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've had this problem since I got the TCL 65" r635 a few months ago. Just for a lark, I checked it out just now and:

NO OPERATION ERROR POP-UP!!

I was able to turn noise reduction off and change gamma settings, if need be. Huzzah! I even went back to it, just to double check, and it still worked.

My phone is a 1+ Nord N200 5G, Android 11, if that's helpful to anyone.

0 Kudos
ShnikeJSB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I used to be able to use the old version of the Roku app (7.0.2.409945) that you can find the APK for online, but it just stopped working this past week. Google Play forced an update, and you can't run the old version of of app at all anymore -- you get a "must update" prompt or close, that's it.

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra on Android 12 and a 55R635, both latest everything. Same issue since I got the TV (and on my S9+ and S21 Ultra on various versions of Android). Only that old version of the Roku app allowed me to access the Expert Picture Settings. Operating Error with anything newer, up to and including the latest version. Now that I can't even USE the old version anymore, I'm completely locked out from those settings, which made a HUGE difference in picture quality.

They'll never fix it, BTW.

0 Kudos