Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
photobug56
Streaming Star

Re: App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Jump to solution

Roku support told me they had never heard of this. 

photobug56
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I wonder how many hundreds of owners or more have told them about this?  When did it start, about 2 years ago?  Now August 2022, and I went to adjust my 4k TCL 43:, and realized I needed EPS, as I did when I set up my 55 Series 6 TCL a while back, and found the Op Error.  I reached out to TCL, because my picture is too dark for many scenes, and they said they'd never heard of the error.  I asked them to escalate and ask their engineers to reach out to ROKU to work on a fix, but I don't know if the paper pushers who run interference for the 'real' tech support people at TCL will pass it on.  It's absurd that we can't properly adjust our TV's because of an app bug going back so long.

charliestl

Jump to solution

I have this same issue on my TCL Roku TV using my Android phone. I paid for the TV, shouldn't I be able to change the picture settings how I like? I really want to get rid of the noise reduction. C'mon Roku.

0 Kudos
photobug56
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Some notes;

1. Uninstall the current version first.

2. Developer options must be turned on.

3. Download to SD card (not sure what to do if, like many phones today, there's no SD card).

4. Use a file explorer on your phone to run it, install it.

I did all this.  App opens.  Devices is not there, you have to search around for the menu.  BUT - while Info worked, EPS just hangs.

It's been noted to me that the current version TENDS to work on IOS.  And, it works on SOME Android phones, but not on others.  Different versions of Android.  Supposedly ROKU is working to fix this, but I've no way to verify that.

0 Kudos
photobug56
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I finally got it 6 working on a S8+ with older version of Android.  For a while.  Then, it would only work on an HDMI input with HD content, not on a streamer such as Netflix on my TCL.  

Itsbeez
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How is Android 10 the culprit? The culprit are the folks at ROKU who won't update their software. This has been crashing for a more than a year, maybe two years. I feel cheated out of a promised feature for my TV. If this does not get fixed soon, I will never purchase another ROKU TV.

photobug56
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Older versions of Android can still experience all sorts of problems.  I tested out the app on my old Samsung S8+.  A bit more worked once in a while - not enough to have effective use of EPS.

I practically begged TCL to work with ROKU to fix the app - which still worked a few years ago when I got my first TCL TV, 4k, series 6 ,55".  And it's not like you have to regularly fuss with it - but you want to be able to.  What I don't get is why ROKU won't fix it.  I was a developer for 20 years, and I'd fire any development staff that let major functionality in an important app go non-working for a couple years.

Overall, I like ROKU.  But I agree with you.  Plus, there's no good reason that you can't do EPS with the TV remote.  If they can't get the app working, at least let the remote have all functions.

0 Kudos
12paq
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

<quote> Roku app version 6.0.7.241364-84 works for advanced picture settings and doesn't give the unavoidable "Roku app needs an update" message.

https://mobile.softpedia.com/apk/roku/v6.0.7.241364/

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/roku-inc/roku/roku-v6-0-7-241364-release/roku-v6-0-7-241364-android-ap...

If the links above no longer work, I'd guess you can use any 6.0.7 version prior to the above ones. <quote>

This worked for me. On Android 12.

I had to uninstall the current app and then reinstall this older version that you linked to from AKP mirror. 

Crashed and froze a bunch of times when selecting expert picture settings. I cleared data and cash on the app and tried and tried again. Eventually I got to expert picture settings and was able to turn noise reduction off. Woo hoo! 

On my older class 4 TCL TV I had to do it for every input channel. Roughly about one in every 15 times I tried the old app It worked and I was able to turn noise reduction off and even lower the gamma on one of my TV inputs.

Definitely had to be persistent but I got the job done. This budget TV is a very noisy TV! But it's better than detail being smooth unnaturally especially on people's faces. 

Itsbeez
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah, doesn't help us fix the bad DolbyVision picture settings at all

0 Kudos
photobug56
Streaming Star

Android app EPS settings still broken as of March 2023

Jump to solution

So, it's March 2023.  As many of us know but ROKU support does not acknowledge (TCL tech support tried to get help from ROKU but were not successful), the EPS section on the mobile app crashes or freezes.  I've tried on an old S8+ (it worked when I got my first ROKU 55 4k set a few years ago), then my S10+, and now on my new S23 Ultra (Android 13).  So I'm pretty sure it's not an Android version issue.  It could be the mobile app OR the actual software on the TV, but I'm guessing the former.  I'd gotten into it with ROKU support but after telling me that there was no problem, they stopped responding.

I am absolutely mystified why they broke it and won't fix it.  Or, better yet, give us an option via the remotes.  I know there are piles of 'secret' screens, but I don't need the developer's screen, wifi info, channels, etc.  I need EPS to work on my 4k ROKU tv's.  Just one setting, for me, GAMMA, but others here have other issues likely fixable with EPS.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos