Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdubdj

Re: App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Jump to solution

I just (2 days ago), purchased the TCL 75" 75r635 Roku tv.  I am using a Samsung note10+ Android 11.  I also crash while using Expert Picture Settings.  This is unexceptable!  For roku to let this problem continue to exist has me rethink my purchase. 

Please advise!

Justin

hmalmstrom

Jump to solution

Unreal they can't get their act together enough to fix a basic function of their products. 

Multiple phones, several OS updates, factory resets, and no luck. Absolutely miserable experience this. 

Jmurra21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello @RokuDanny-R 

If you would look at the pictures provided under your post, they are the same issues I've seen across multiple forums. 

Regardless of Android/iPhone operating system...

Regardless of the TV brand...

Regardless of Roku app version. 

Every single time, the error message comes up. Again you can see the error messages we are all experiencing.

As you can see, should you scroll throughout all of the posts here, or had upset some that they are thinking of making a more formal complaint. 

I do hope that this prompts you, and your team, to fix this immediately. There are many of us who cannot perform the picture adjustment as we'd like.

Locking that feature to an app, and then allowing that broken feature to go unaddressed over a long period of time, is quite unacceptable customer service, product maintenence and service, as well as potentially inaccurate representation of the product, its features and capabilities.

I believe I will be following this forum closely. 

I do hope that you are able to address this immediately. 

Since I've so kindly pointed out, I'll be watching this forum for a solution very soon. 

As such, I do believe that you also hope to resolve this issue in a very timely manner. 

Have a great day. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
AvengerJFB
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi dany,

Open your app. It will crash. That is it. You already have multiple reports im not going to plow into software versions and such. We have already been there. It crashes on all versions on all tvs on android. Just fix it already. You are now aware of the issue. Have a dev pick up a phone and check it himself. Comb this thread for many examples. Im tired of doing your job now that you know just fix it.

Im using a TCL 20 pro phone on a TCL tv. Its the same company!

theanykey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

It's really pathetic that we have to try and debug these issues ourselves, but I've made a little headway on this.  Shove this in front of a developer's face.

Tried three devices, all Galaxy: S10, S21, and S5. 

The S10 and S21 are both running Android 11, the S5 is running a custom build of Android 7.

Out of the three, the S5 has never had an issue and this issue originated on my S10. It wouldn't even get as far as showing the Expert Picture Settings values before the operation error popup appeared.

The S21 initially didn't have an issue loading Expert Picture Settings, UNTIL I SWITCHED THE ANDROID UI DISPLAY SETTING FROM LIGHT MODE (DEFAULT) TO DARK MODE.

Then it hit me to try switching from dark mode (my personal default) to light mode on my S10. The operation error popup went away and the Expert Settings values finally filled in, but the entire Roku app froze.

So this tells us one thing. Your developers didn't test enough display modes when they released this new UI update and it definitely appears to be UI related.

Out of the three devices, two have a horizontal resolution of 1080 and a relatively "normal" aspect ratio, with the S10 being the outlier with a 1440 horizontal resolution and a less standard aspect ratio.

I can adjust the S10 to 720 and 1080, but it has no setting that works out to a standard aspect ratio.

My next step would be to see about decompiling the app and check if there's an incorrectly set variable or something, but I'm sure your devs will try to earn their keep... someday. 

bbexperience
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's some fine sleuthing there. Well done! I got rid of this TV but now I wish I could test this because you may be on to something.

0 Kudos
Jmurra21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku TV: C113x

TCL model 50s525

SERIAL - 00100w3nuv

Software version 10.5.0 + build 4210-93

Device ID S0444033nuvc

This is my information, however the posts throughout this entire topic indicate that it spans much more than mine alone.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts. In order for us to pass along your information to the appropriate team, we will need all of the following information if you have not already provided it:

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
theanykey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

This has NOTHING to do with the Roku operating system.  It's a mobile application issue.

I know this because I'm able to access and control expert picture settings using a different Android 11 device with the same app version on both.

See my post above.

If your developers didn't lock out old versions of the Roku app from using expert picture settings, it would be very easy to prove that this issue started when they messed with the UI.