Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curmudgeon71
Reel Rookie

App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Jump to solution

UPDATE: Roku actually contacted me last week and after some troubleshooting determined that the culprit is Android 10.

I have a new 2020 TCL 635 and the Roku App on an Android phone. Every time I try to access the expert picture settings for my device I get an operating error and it tells me to restart the TV- I have done this and it doesn't work.

This is key functionality that is inaccessible without the app. A quick search online says this has been  a known issue for months. Any timeline on a fix to the app or a software update for the TV so I can access these settings?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: App Crashes on Expert Picture Settings

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue regarding Expert Picture Settings on the Roku mobile app.

We believe this issue is now resolved and invite you try checking to see if you are still seeing an issue occur when using Expert Picture Settings with your Roku TV.

Please keep us posted if you are still seeing an issue occur and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Happy Streaming,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94
Ripsaw5165
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Check my post about this issue over in same topic but for iPhone, seems that discussion contains posts from Android users as well.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/Roku-app-missing-expert-settings-on-IPhone/m-p/599279#...

Basically the "Operational Error" crash is very common but Roku and/or TCL doesn't seem concerned enough about customer service to look into it.

I have tried everything and cannot solve it on my setup...

Goes
Channel Surfer

Crashing expert picture settings

Jump to solution

For many months now me and so many of other TCL owners are not able to access the expert picture settings in the Roku app. multiple updates, multiple threads and as of this date no fix yet. All what Roku could do, is instead of totally crashing the app. now an error message appears saying that if this issue persists restart the TV and of course, restarting does not fix a thing.

The only solution to this issue at this time found by the community is to revert back to an older version of the app to be able to access the settings. This is unacceptable.

I have a colorimeter, calman software and a pattern generator to properly calibrate my TCL P625 and S635 and with this problem, I cannot do a thing, or use an old version of the app. which who knows what other problems that version can cause if used.

In short Roku failed to support us and all they did is they marked other threads addressing this issue as resolved.

REALLY111

AvengerJFB
Binge Watcher

Re: Crashing expert picture settings

Jump to solution

Does anyone at Roku want to fix this very annoying issue?

I have a Honor 10 on Android 10. My app crashes with all my TVs. Expert settings are not available.

Array1

Re: Crashing expert picture settings

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. I'm marking this issue resolved: I've resolved to not buy another TCL TV.
The Expert Picture Settings contain a large group of functions marketed and documented in the user guide as part of the purchased product. It's hard to believe a company can get away with ignoring this issue.

Curmudgeon71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Funny thing - apparently certain words pertaining to tort actions are not allowed in this community. Hence the '*' in the following: I think this is worthy of a class action l*wsuit - TCL chose to lock key functionality to an app which does not work for almost anyone. Call it a bait and switch, false advertising, defective product - whatever - I think it's time to contact a l*wyer.

Rogue_Ogre

Jump to solution

I completely agree! This seems like something worthy of a class action (word not permitted). Seriously. I wouldn't let me submit this post until I removed the word.

This issue goes back several years. There is no excuse whatsoever for them to not have figured out and implemented a fix by now.

On top of that, Roku has marked previous forum posts on this issue as Resolved.

I'm seeing this kind of reprehensible behavior with other companies like Google and Samsung as well. It has to stop.

- RO

Curmudgeon71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update: Roku support reached out and after some troubleshooting we determined that the culprit is Android 10. Do I really need to use all 140 characters to post this?

AvengerJFB
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a TCL phone with Android 11 same issue heres some padding for 140 characters ,........................

Curmudgeon71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Maybe it's a hardware/software combo - I have a Moto E with Android 10 and it kicks me out of the Expert Picture Settings every time; I loaded the app on my son's Samsung Galaxy with Android 11 and it worked.

0 Kudos