Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FTbliss
Channel Surfer

Re: Viewing YouTube of Jimmy Kimmel monologue video fails to load and play

Jump to solution

Exactly the same here, it's def the Roku YT app. Yet I still have never experienced it on any other videos and I'm on YouTube most every day. This just started for me in the last week or two. I've been watching recent shows so I thought it was just glitchy on his show and it'd go away. I'll have to check if older shows of his do it as well later today.

When did it start for you guys? Has it ever happened on a non JK video? 

0 Kudos
PF21

Jump to solution

It’s been happening to me on the roku UT JK channel for several months identically to those above. It always seems to be in the middle of the video and no issues with any other channels

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you.

Here's my successful 'work-around':    From my Windows 10 PC, I load YouTube and find a Jimmy Kimmel broadcast with inserted videos (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwO-om6UazY) .    From "SETTINGS" on the video, I adjust the feed to 360 (from 1040).     The entire J.K. video runs completely.

I had adjusted the Roku settings to 'save bandwidth' and then disabled that feature, and that did not resolve the problem.

If there is another way of changing the Roku settings, I'm keenly interested.

0 Kudos
Nwardpgh

Jump to solution

It's not just Roku - I have a Google AirTV and it's happening as well! It's on the YouTube app of the AirTV (I.e not on my phone or computer) and ONLY on Jimmy Kimmel's monologue! Super frustrating!!! I have 2 AirTVs and both are up to date. Software on both is good. I can skip over the parts that freeze, but it's so annoying. What the heck is going on???

0 Kudos
FTbliss
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow, so it's something with the smarttv app, and only for JK... Wth.

I'm testing a different older smart TV right now, will report back shortly. 

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I resolved my issue employing the comments of a previous writer.

I suggest you change the resolution (?) to 360 or 480.   It appears that Roku and maybe Google Air have a maximum bandwidth they will present and when a broadcast goes beyond their allotment, Roku and Google shut them down.      

FTbliss
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wrote a huge post with differences in version and update numbers and dates between my older tv that shows it fine and my newer tv that has the issue, and I lost it. I'm so fn irritated rn, having typed out all these numbers from photos and laying it all out....

Maybe I'll do it again tomorrow but the workaround shown above does seem to work, I went from 1080 to 480 and it works fine. Isn't even bad viewing except some frame rate issues here and there that most wouldn't notice. Thanks to the person who suggested that and I'm outta here for the night. ✌️

0 Kudos
Numz1234

Jump to solution

This happens to me too but I have a Chromecast with Google TV. 

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You are welcome.

BTW,    from my Windows 10 PC, I use an HDMI cable to the TV.   

Cheers to all,

I'm out.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue. Been having it for several days. I also have a TCL Roku and am using the YouTube app. It only happens during Jimmy Kimmel monolog. I've uninstalled the app, restarted the TV, reinstalled the app, signed back in, and tried to play the same video. My screen is just solid black and the progress bar is not moving. Nothing is playing. This video works on the YouTube app on my phone. 

0 Kudos