Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucas_jim
Binge Watcher

Roku broke my 3500 stick with their upgrade to 10.5 and now won't fix it?

By now, many of us know about the Roku 10.5.0 software update which had a very negative impact on the operation of our Roku devices and televisions.  Ok, problems will happen during the development of new software/firmware.  But when it does, I expect the company to fix the problem(s).  My old Roku stick (Model 3500X) was working fine until 10.5.0.  All I want is for Roku to let me download and install an older version of the software that worked in order to restore my Roku stick so that it is once again operational.  I don't think that's asking too much.  You screwed it up - you fix it!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku broke my 3500 stick with their upgrade to 10.5 and now won't fix it?

Have you asked them to downgrade it?  I've seen threads about PMing serial numbers to Roku employees and getting a downgrade that way.

0 Kudos
tomf

I am locked out with this screen advertising a new 10.5.  NOTHING I do will get it off the screen.  How do I clear this so I can access ROKU features????????

0 Kudos
tomf

also------how do you ever get to talk to a real person??

0 Kudos
lucas_jim
Binge Watcher

You don't get to talk to a real person.  Roku doesn't have a customer support phone number you can call.  You can only do an online "Chat".  So, I did the "Chat" and for my Roku Ultra I was instructed to do a Factory reset at which point they drop off the "chat" since they know it will take quite a while to reload all your channels.  So, after spending hours "Chat"ing, doing the Factory Reset (they told me to do) and reloading all my channels, it did NOT work!  The unit continued to perform very poorly and was basically unusable.  But, for the Roku Ultra, I was finally able to get an earlier version of the firmware.  Once I downgraded the unit to the earlier version, the Ultra was back to normal.  So, I thought they would also give me a downgrade for my Roku 3500X stick but, as of this date, they have not and that unit is basically unusable.  So, I purchased an Amazon Firestick and it works beautifully.  I've also been letting everyone know about Roku's lack of support.  In fact, I was in a big box store over the weekend and I told people about Roku's issue with the latest software release and Roku's lack of support.  At least 4 customers who were going to buy a Roku based television did not.  My friends are also doing the same thing.  It's really too bad that Roku took so long to admit they had introduced problems and now are refusing to fix those problems that they caused.  Up until now, I really liked the Roku products.  What a shame.....  They need to either tier their products so that they don't negatively impact their legacy customers or give customers the ability to restore their units to working versions.   And they definitely should set up a Customer Support phone line.  Oh well....

Musoka
Roku Guru

Daily reminder- Roku broke who knows how many of their products with a bad firmware update weeks/months ago (depending on model) and so far are not rolling back affected broken sets. Signal strength is botched causing ota TV hard to watch, the in set program guide no longer populates any data, Disney+ and paramount+ (paid services) are broken for many of us. Rolling back firmware fixed these issues for all of us but the units update themselves back to broken firmware. 15 pages and counting of complaints for over a month and no answers from anyone, mods hands are clearly tied, nobody has the power or the will to address the massive problem. If you want to literally have months of broken products out of every year, this is the company for you! 

Fliby

How was the downgrade supplied to you?  USB file via the computer? I too have the same Ultra issue and would be happy to downgrade to get it working again.

0 Kudos
captgrail

Even if you downgrade, they control the box and may just update the firmware again. Also search on Roku Amazon and Youtube contracts.  Looks like further issues might be  just around the corner.

0 Kudos